DIY- 75g 2x4 stand!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I feel like it would help push water into the pump rather the pump just having to draw still water? Make sense?

Yeah that makes sense. Im gonna use 3/4" for the mag pump and 1" pvc for the siphon. Would this work?

Yeah that makes sense. Im gonna use 3/4" for the mag pump and 1" pvc for the siphon. Would this work?

I'm thinking the 1" PVC for the siphon might be a bit on the conservative side.

Just so that I understand this setup, this is not a drilled tank and a siphon will be used to move the water from the display tank to the sump, correct? Will it be simply a siphon (with a screened intake) using 1" PVC pipes and elbows leading directly to the sump? I've been following the stand build but perhaps I missed something. The thing I don't understand is what happens when the return pump (nice one btw) is shut off? Will the siphon continue to move water? If so, when would it stop? I have seen DYI siphon setups and there was always some type of overflow in the design that would dictate when the siphoning should stop (and not break the siphon). Would it be easier to use an overflow box as such as this one?
CVsGqgR.jpg

Thanks for the reply Fresh2o, what do you mean by on the conservative side?

I like the idea of that overflow box for sure. Ill have to look into them because ive never used one

Wow man those are pricey! I think drilling the tank would be cheaper. Do you know of a super cheap one? They all do the same thing just rated differently

Thanks for the reply Fresh2o, what do you mean by on the conservative side?

I like the idea of that overflow box for sure. Ill have to look into them because ive never used one

With the 950 gph pump (yes, less than that with head loss) I am not sure that a 1" PVC pipe siphon could keep up. I could be wrong on this.

Wow man those are pricey! I think drilling the tank would be cheaper. Do you know of a super cheap one? They all do the same thing just rated differently

They can be pricey. Shop around. They basically do the same thing but some have extra features such as dual drains, multiple siphons, prefilters, etc.
They should be rated on the maximum amount of water they can move.

Can't help you with drilling a tank. Probably cheaper.

I see I see, I can always go bigger for that and use a ball valve at the end to match it no problem but I would like to know more about the overflow box. They are pricey so do you know a good diy version that would work

Im having no luck finding an overflow box locally. Its very hard to find when even the fish store employees dont know what an overflow box is

First you will need to get proper hole saw and the bulkheads you want to use. YouTube has a few aquarium hole drilling videos to follow.

I bought my stuff from glass-holes.com. There are other places as well. Anyway glass-holes also has PDF directions that you can download and read before deciding on doing this. It took me about 15 minutes to drill 4 holes into the back of my 75.

I just watched a video made by diy king or something like that. Took him 30 seconds. Fairly simple. I think ill do that. Glass holes has ridiculous prices to be honest. But I do need some help. Im gonna use the mag 12 but should I have 2 holes or just 1? Its gonna be 1 1/2"

Sweet! All you need is the glass bit now, call a glass shop and see if you can rent one?

Yeah smart idea!

Would x1 hole drilled at 1 1/2" work or should I do 2 just incase the mag 12 is too much for the 1 overflow?

Think just one?? For the drain, than again in really not well versed in the ways of the drilled tank??

Back
Top Bottom