DIY- 75g 2x4 stand!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For the cheap factor, you can't beat southern yellow pine from a lumber supplier. It doesn't look terrible either. Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
For sure, it's extremely tough too, I am actually building a bar top out of reclaimed southern yellow right now, love the smell of the cuts!

For sure, it's extremely tough too, I am actually building a bar top out of reclaimed southern yellow right now, love the smell of the cuts!

So I like the southern yellow for sure and it seems fairly cheap. Do they have these in 2x4s? I bet it would look awesome sealed over!

So I like the southern yellow for sure and it seems fairly cheap. Do they have these in 2x4s? I bet it would look awesome sealed over!
I've ordered all the way up to true 2x10, you may to special order the 2x4's, I'm staining it but yes it does look great with just a clear coat.

The main reasons I wanna do the 2x4 look is because I love how it looks and I can cut sheets worth crap! If I had a guided saw I would go crazy and surprise myself!

The main reasons I wanna do the 2x4 look is because I love how it looks and I can cut sheets worth crap! If I had a guided saw I would go crazy and surprise myself!
Fair enough, if it will all be exposed framing than the southern yellow 2x4 stock with some brass screws and a quart of semi gloss poly would be IMO awesomeness!

Fair enough, if it will all be exposed framing than the southern yellow 2x4 stock with some brass screws and a quart of semi gloss poly would be IMO awesomeness!

See that's exactly what I was thinking! Is there an app where I can design this? I can't draw

Also, is there a problem with a lot of weight on the top of the tank?
Just get out the pencil, straight edge and paper! Well yes, that's why I suggested plywood, to lighten it up, but! Buttt! If you want a nice beefy canopy than get some angle brackets on the wall and suspend it with cool chains or more modern steel cable.

Just get out the pencil, straight edge and paper! Well yes, that's why I suggested plywood, to lighten it up, but! Buttt! If you want a nice beefy canopy than get some angle brackets on the wall and suspend it with cool chains or more modern steel cable.

My poor roof would be Siting on the tank the next day! My house was built in the 40s! I'll try and draw something up and show yall my idea

Here is an okay pic. No dimensions used so just a basic "what I want it to look like" drawing.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140204_085133.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140204_085133.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 91
Hmm, you may need a 1/4 inch plywood wrap for that design, or some toungue and groove stock, in that case reg 2x4's for the inside frame would be good with the southern yellow top.

Hmm, you may need a 1/4 inch plywood wrap for that design, or some toungue and groove stock, in that case reg 2x4's for the inside frame would be good with the southern yellow top.

Okay, say I did the 2x4 frame with southern yellow outside and some nice trim to cap the corners and what not. How would I go about adding the math together? That's the part I suck at. The tank is exactly 48 1/2 x 18 1/2 and I want to angel the corners to have a nice fit

Okay, say I did the 2x4 frame with southern yellow outside and some nice trim to cap the corners and what not. How would I go about adding the math together? That's the part I suck at. The tank is exactly 48 1/2 x 18 1/2 and I want to angel the corners to have a nice fit
If you want the lower section to be the same dimension as the tank figure out exactly what material you will use and deduct it's thickness times 2 to get the frame width, say you are using 1/4" ply as a wrap with 3/8" outside corner molding, deduct 1/2" for wrap and another 7/8" for corners. So your frame width would be 47 1/8" wide.

If you want the lower section to be the same dimension as the tank figure out exactly what material you will use and deduct it's thickness times 2 to get the frame width, say you are using 1/4" ply as a wrap with 3/8" outside corner molding, deduct 1/2" for wrap and another 7/8" for corners. So your frame width would be 47 1/8" wide.

You sir are a genius! I would have never known that until today! So say I want the tank to sit 100% even with the wrap before putting the molding on, how would I add that up

Hey man, this is what I do everyyydayyyy, so the corner molding sticks out a bit more? 48" frame

Here is an okay pic. No dimensions used so just a basic "what I want it to look like" drawing.

If those vertical lines are supposed to represent 2x4s, you'll need 12 of them across the front alone. That's going to be impossible to move. I'd use the 2x4s for structure, and a 1x6 or other, thinner lumber to cover it.

Back
Top Bottom