DIY 75g Build: Background, Stand, ect.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm planning on taking updated pictures to show progress :) I have more than enough styrofoam and didn't pay a dime for it. In 1995 the state of Missouri made it a law that dock companies were not allowed to use styrofoam when building docks anymore. Lucky for me my step dad is in the boat business so I contacted him seeking information on the styrofoam. Different kinds of docks use different types of styrofoam, and some blocks have extra chemicals added to help from rotting. But the white blocks are just plain styrofoam, no additives, no chemicals, nothing. Since these are not allowed to be used dock companies don't know what to do with the styrofoam, needless to say that instead of paying $20 a sheet at Lowes I picked up two blocks at the Marina for nothing. I have to cut it down allot to get the nasty stuff off but who can best free right?

Thought it was time for an update;

Well got my block cut in half and let it sit in the sun to dry for two days

View attachment 95838

I moved the styrofoam party up stairs to my woman cave because of the mess and sanded it down real good

View attachment 95839

Started drawing my lines for potential carving,

View attachment 95840

And am about halfway done with the first stage of the carving mess

View attachment 95841

i use these big styro blocks all the time for fiberglass projects. the way i do it is cut out everything 1/8 to 1/4 smaller all the way around every side, rocks and all, each piece seperate. then use plain old elmers glue and glue everything to a 1/2" plywood or cement backer board backing the way you want it. then cover every single bit with at least 5 coats of GLOSS latex paint, do not use oil based paints. let everything dry for at least a day. then fiberglass everything with cloth or matting and get all the air bubbles out. minimum 4 layers. Make sure you make the entire backboard at least 2" bigger than you need., so you can trim to fit.
If you dont want to use the latex paint you can cover everything with grey duct tape and you dont need a release agent. Let everything dry at least 2 days and then remove it all then you can go to town painting it all just like you want it. I have found out that marine grade clears seal real good and they can have a flattener added to keep the gloss down. Make sure you seal the bottom and sides in place with silicone. If you dont like the hollowed out back you can fill it with expandable foam to keep stagnating water out from behind it.

I am not sure what the difference is but i know the cement board is made for wet locations, not sure if it will leach out any chemicals, i forgot to mention my son used this and sprayed it all with epoxy sealer before i started airbrushing it all with plain old airbrush enamels then sealed everything with 3 wet coats of marine grade clear with flattener in it.
I dont suppose it would hurt to bake everything in your oven if it would fit for about an hour at not more than 200 degrees to speed drying time.

slyhog22056 said:
I am not sure what the difference is but i know the cement board is made for wet locations, not sure if it will leach out any chemicals, i forgot to mention my son used this and sprayed it all with epoxy sealer before i started airbrushing it all with plain old airbrush enamels then sealed everything with 3 wet coats of marine grade clear with flattener in it.
I dont suppose it would hurt to bake everything in your oven if it would fit for about an hour at not more than 200 degrees to speed drying time.

Lol I don't think it would fit in my oven

filling spaces

i'd leave the spaces open so the smaller fish can have places to hide. and soak the cement board in a tub of water for a week or two and do water changes like every other day to leach out any bad stuff

CRUSHER said:
i'd leave the spaces open so the smaller fish can have places to hide. and soak the cement board in a tub of water for a week or two and do water changes like every other day to leach out any bad stuff

Doesn't the cement chip off easy though?

Cut some more out of the styrofoam and created another piece that will give it a depth effect. instead of struggling with trying to cut the rock design in the back of the trees I cut the pieces two inches thinner and am going to buy a flat piece of foam and carve it from that. I cut it into three pieces so I can fit it into the tank. Here's some updated pics

View attachment 96668

View attachment 96670

Next step before I paint will be to finish sealing the tank which I've put my husband to good use doing that lol

View attachment 96671

Well I went to menards today and picked up two thin sheets of styrofoam for 1.35 each and I'm going to start carving the rock background

View attachment 96892

I've decided after much reading that I was going go with the drylok. I looked at three different stores to find concrete pigment with no luck. I happened to find the right employee at Lowes who said that he lived in the same town as me and had a garage full of it so on my way home we stopped at his house where he had his wife set out 5 boxes of different colors free of charge. So now let the painting begin

View attachment 96894

Back
Top Bottom