DIY 90 CFM aquarium fan for around $10.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NoMoreGoldFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
It's getting pretty hot around here and my tank that's being fishless cycled had reached close to 90F, so I thought I'd find a cheap way to cool it down before I add my fish. I've looked at some aquarium fans, but they all have pretty low airflow, even the ones with four 8 cm fans only produce a measly 50 CFM, not to mention smaller fans tend to be noisier because they need to spin faster to produce the same air flow as larger fans.

After researching for a couple of hours this morning on DC fans, I believe I have found the best value for money fan, so I went to the computer shop to get it. I already had a 12V adapter on hand from some old appliances and a pwm speed controller from an old computer cpu heat sink. So I got to work.

This is what you need.

r4bluebig.jpg

1x fan
- Cooler Master (R4-L2R-20Cx-GP) 90 CFM LED Silent Fan- 120cm- 2000rpm- 19dBa. (The x in the model number represents the color of the LED, comes in three colors, R for red, G for green and B for blue). Remember the model number, because they make another 12cm fan that only produces around 40 CFM.
- Under $8, amazing value for the 90 CFM airflow.

93-317-thickbox.jpg

1x 12v adapter
- If you have a regular 1A adapter, you can connect 2 of the above fans, since the fan is rated at 0.35A
- Look in your storage room, you should have one laying around from old appliances, if not, you should be able to pick one up for around $7 at the electronic store.

321731-a.jpg

Instructions

Step 1) Cut the end of adapter, you should see two wire. One with writings on it, that's your negative wire, you should connect the black wire from your fan to it. The other wire with a white line on it, that's your positive, and you should connect your red wire to it (or connect both the yellow and red to it if you want).

Step 2) If you have a computer fan controller. You should see just plug your fan into the slot, and then splice the red/yellow/black wires to the adapter like in step 1.

Step 3) If you have electrical tape, now it's time to wrap the exposed wires with it because you don't want exposed wires. Or better yet, buy a couple of those plastic caps for it. They should set you back around 10 cents each.

You're done. Place and the fan on your tank and affix it with fishing line or whatever suits your setup.

It only cost me $8, it's super quiet for its 90 CFM airflow, and it has dropped my tank temperature by around 3F by having it blow under my aquarium tank and across the water (need to verify the result over the next few days). The only annoying thing is that the fan is lit with an LED light, I might have to find a way to kill it. I'll get an extra fan tomorrow to see how it effects the temperature.

I'll post pictures when I make my second fan tomorrow or the day after. :D

I bought a small fan from Walmart for 6 bucks and my tank went from 90° to 74° in about 4 hours oh and gets to 70° without a heater but then the fish start getting colorless

Sorry I know DIY is way more fun as I love it myself but you can see my threads and look at my set-up. Its a 10g tank

I bought a small fan from Walmart for 6 bucks and my tank went from 90° to 74° in about 4 hours oh and gets to 70° without a heater but then the fish start getting colorless

Sorry I know DIY is way more fun as I love it myself but you can see my threads and look at my set-up. Its a 10g tank

Wow. A 16 degree drop in temperature. That's almost as good as an aquarium chiller. Must be one heck of a fan. :lol: What about the noise level?

Cool, maybe it works for 10 gallon tanks. (y)

I have an 18 inch steel fan in my studio and I don't even think it can cool its surrounding air by 16 degrees blasting on high. Maybe I should switch to one of your fans. :)

NoMoreGoldFish said:
Cool, maybe it works for 10 gallon tanks. (y)

I have an 18 inch steel fan in my studio and I don't even think it can cool its surrounding air by 16 degrees blasting on high. Maybe I should switch to one of your fans. :)

I say give it a try. The outcomes could be different but well worth the try. Here r some pics of it

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110809_170802.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110809_170802.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 98
  • ForumRunner_20110809_170846.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110809_170846.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 114
  • ForumRunner_20110809_170940.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110809_170940.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 95
Back
Top Bottom