DIY Acrylic Aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DBrossman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have my mind set on making my next aquarium with acrylic. I have also designed my ultimate tank. I just had several questions for anybody who knows about acrylic. I was wondering if anybody knew anything about how thick the acrylic would need to be. I appreciate any help on the subject.

Yes I will post some pics of the plans tomorrow and also the dimensions. However, short hand is that it is going to be 4' L x 3' W x 2' 6" H. 4' side is going to be 16" wide and 3' side is going to be 12" wide. If my calculations are correct, it should be around a 110 gallon tank.

Sorry, I thought that I had said that it was an L shaped tank. sorry about the confusion, however I have attached a screen shot of the plans. Tell me if I am on the right track or completely wrong.

45304-albums2308-picture15098.jpg

I have planned that the acrylic be 3/4" thick, I just don't know if that is the right thickness, too thick, or not thick enough, I don't know

I'm not positive here, but I feel like the back corner should be flat like the front corners to help the water "bounce" from one side of the tank to the other.

This is an interesting idea though, how will you go about making it sturdy? Surely the silicone can't hold all of that together without some kind of frame.

Definitely watching this topic!

I am going to be making this one out of Acrylic, so there will be no silicone, or at least very little. I do like the idea of the back corner, I will have to look into that. Thanks

The more pieces you add (more seams) the more likely you are to have problems. Have you considered how difficult it will be to work on with that height?

It looks amazing but I've worked a lot with acrylic in the past and I wouldn't attempt that tank. With a glass tank, silicone will fill in the gaps where 2 sheets meet at an angle, with acrylic you have to cut them 100% perfect or the glue won't work as a proper seal. To do this you need specialized, big and expensive machines. I strongly recommend you leave out the two extra corners. What you could do instead is have it bent to the angle you want, same principle as a bow-front tank. That way you also reduce the risk of leaks.

Also bear in mind that corner tanks always have a dead spot in the far back corner which is then hard to reach and clean.

Just my 2c, I'd love to see you pull it of though ;)

I wanna see where this bad boy goes! Awesome tank! Some places will build them for you

Yeah I know there are places that will build it, however i want the gratification of making it myself. Not to mention the cost of having it made would be out if control!

You could put an overflow in the back corner and drill it. That would help pull water from the outer corners and get some flow going with jets.

Back
Top Bottom