Diy acrylic splash/condensation guard?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adina

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
:fish1: Hello, I'm new here and I had a question about an acrylic diy splash/condensation guard that I'm wanting to make for my 10 gallon "Aquaculture" freshwater tank. I know normally you wouldn't need this for this kind of tank but I have two decorations that blow bubbles and the tops come to about the middle or a little higher in the tank and when the bubbles come to the surface they pop and spray water on my hood and I would like to keep that dry considering the lights are right there.

So back to my question.lol :)
I will be ordering from this site: Clear Acrylic Sheets: TAP Plastics
And it will be roughly 20 1/2" x 9 1/2" and I would like it as thin as possible (1/16", 3/32", or 1/8") Will that bow or bend in the middle? Or will it be strong enough to hold itself up? The edges of the acrylic will be sitting on the lip that my aquarium hood sits and then the hood will be on top of that. so the edges will be at least a little supported.

Sorry for the long post! Any advice or info is greatly appreciated :thanks:

Ps. Will the heat from my 10 watt "lights of america" fluorescent bulbs effect the acrylic at all? They wouldn't be touching it.

I had a piece of 1/8" acrylic on my old 20 gallon (it was a little wider than your application..) I had to add an aluminum angle to it because it bowed into the tank, that is as much experience as I personally have had.. To do it over I would have gone with a thicker piece IMHO..

hmm :/ Well the main reason I wanted it to be no thicker than 1/8" was because the lid pretty much sits flush in the lip and its about 1/4" so to raise it 1/8" would already be halfway up. I dont want the hood to be easily knocked off. And what do you mean by an aluminum angle?

I had to screw an aluminum angle iron (L) to it to take out the bow (probably wouldnt work in your application..) but again your tank isn't as wide as mine was so i may work just fine, just make it as thick as you can i guess :)

Back
Top Bottom