Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-21-2010, 12:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
DIY Air Pump Silencer?

I setup a five gallon tank about a week ago to save some small fish that were being threatened in my 55 gallon. I bought a cheap air pump to run a small air stone into the tank. The tank looks great, but the air pump is pretty noisy (as expected). I keep my 55 gallon air pump under the stand behind closed doors, so the hum isn't nearly as noticeable. My new air pump sits behind the tank on a small table. Vibration is not an issue, as placing a towel underneath the pump (or wrapping it) does nothing to stop the noise. It's the pump itself that's humming. I understand that's it's quite normal, but I would like to dampen the noise if at all possible.

I've Googled about all I can and I've looked at a few threads on here, but I couldn't find much. This thread interested me the most: Silence that noisy air pump. It looks like you can create a muffler of sorts to quiet the pump, but the link to the directions is dead and I'm not sure how to begin.

Has anyone developed a DIY air pump silencer (or quieter?). I'd love to hear any ideas.

follicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:45 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie
maybe this will help you

Here's an awesome idea I found in the aquaria newsgroup to quiet up loud pumps like the Tetra Luft. The noise was virtually eliminated when I suspended the air pump in a bottle by its power cord. I drilled a 1 inch diameter hole in the middle of the bottle cover to fit the power cord and the plug through it. Another smaller hole was drilled just long enough to snuggly fit the air tubing through, and another hole just large enough to fit a 3 - 4 inch length of 5/16" diameter rigid tubing. This pipe lets air into the bottle for the pump to pump. The most time consuming part is cutting and glueing two pieces of plastic in a way so that it crimps the power cord and closes that 1 inch hole. After this just make sure the pump doesn't touch the side wall and you have yourself a very quiet air pump."
Source : Air Pump Silencer

maxcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie
and this is another idea
maxcohen is offline   Reply With Quote

air, air pump, diy, pump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com