DIY Aqaurium light kits -

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toker95

Aquarium Advice Regular
After much research and a few posts around here, I've determined what I'd like to do to light my 30gl tank, and/or the 75 I'm currently trying to sweettalk my wife into. Seeing as how if I do get the 75, the 30 has to go, I'd like to get something that would be capable of serving me for both tanks.

I'd like to get AHSupply.com's 2x55w kit, of which would overpower and require Co2 in my 30gl. Can anyone tell me, since it uses a single ballast, whether I can get away with simply not wiring up the second bulb until its necessary?

Simply put, I can use one of the 2 55w bulbs for my 30gl and be right under 2wpg, that being my goal. When the time comes to fire up the 75gl, I can remake the enclosure and wire up the second bulb, giving me a little less light overall, but still ample light for low-moderate plants. The greatest benefit imo is simply saving $25 or so from having to buy a 1x55, and then a 2x55 later down the line.

My greatest concern really being whether the ballast will overdrive the single bulb or not. Will it wear that bulb out faster like that? i.e. not something I want to do for a length of time?

You could buy 2 1x55watt kits, then only use one until you get the 75gallon, then transfer the kit over to the new enclosure.

2 seperate 1x55's would then require 2 seperate ballasts. While completely doable, I'd rather avoid it if possible. If I must purchase the single 55w and either buy another single 55w later to add on, or purchase a 2x55w, then so be it. I'm just curious if it would physically harm the single bulb by overdriving it.

Unless someone can tell me (awaiting response from AHsupply.com themselves as it is) positively that its ok, I'd rather spend the extra money now, rather than have to be replacing PC bulbs more often than I should.

well the single ballast running two lamps should have separate wiring for each plug. AHsupply doesn't use low-end ballasts, so it should definitely run 55watts to each plug, and no more. Give them a call though. They'll tell you the truth, and are known to give good customer service/support.

fisch said:
would it not work to buy the 2x55 and leave one bulb out?

Exactly, While I know it will -physically- work ok like that, what I'm concerned with is simply whether a ballast designed for 2 PC bulbs, would it adverseley effect the bulb... say, burn it out earlier. Since the ballast drives the bulbs in a flourescant system (so i am told), wouldn't that ballast (designed for 2) be overdriving a single bulb?

Although I'm still curious of the answer, and will try and call AHSupply directly (tried an email but haven't got a response yet), my wife this evening finally agreed to let me get the bowfront 72gl I've been pining for recently. So hence, I'll definately be getting the 2x55w now and don't have to worry about this much.

Back
Top Bottom