Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-12-2005, 03:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to flipz
DIY aquarium

Hey everyone. In about 1 year I will need to construct a new aquarium. I have been doing research already for a long time, and am continuing to do so. The reason I haven't done it yet is do to space restrictions, and that I am still in college so I move a lot (summer, winter break, etc).

Well I graduate this year, and will be moving once and for all (for an extended time at least!) and at this point it will be time for construction!

Anyways, I just wanted to ask a couple questions so I can figure out what I'm even doing.

My biggest question right now is, what should I look up in the yellow pages for acrylic? I am looking to get it pre-cut, and I'm not sure where to look. Or even somewhere online if they won't kill me in shipping.

I found this article on garf talking about building a plexiglass aquarium: http://www.garf.org/news22p2.html#plex

Am I to assume that he plexiglass is the same thing as acrylic?

That's all for now. This topic will definetly grow as I get closer to build time, but like I said that's about a year off from now. I just want to have done 110% of my research!

TIA

-brent

Edit: ok, i'm an idiot and just realized i asked this same exactly question a while ago here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=38180

hah. sorry! anyways, if anyone can provide answers beyond those, that would be great. thanks

Old 08-12-2005, 07:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to JProx Send a message via AIM to JProx
how far are you from lima ohio? there is a plastics place called us plastics www.usplastics.com that carries all sorts of acrylic sheets, will cut to order, and have very cheap prices (as far as acrylic goes anyway) if you are over 2 hrs away (like myself) you can always just have them ship it to you, but you could save some money by picking it up yourself.

acrylic goes by doezens of different names, plexiglass, lexan, etc its all the same stuff.

when i can't think of what a product would be listed under, i check out the index of the yellow pages, in the cleveland yellow pages acrylic suppliers are listed under 'Plastics-rods-tubes,sheets, etc - supply centers'. in the cleveland we have like 8 'suppliers' not a whole lot to choose from, so don't be surprised for only a couple of listings.

Old 08-13-2005, 10:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to flipz
Thanks for the tip on us plastics... I'm definetly within driving range of Lima. I'm in the Cleveland area right now, but I'm by Lima 9 months out of the year.

Thanks again jprox!

-brent
Old 08-16-2005, 10:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to virus
are their acrylic tank safe? because they say they put a film on it and i dunno..... lol so if somone could point this out for ME and Flipz
1 Rosy barb
3 Neon Swordtails
1 Platinum lyretail mollie
3 Cory Cats
1 Dojo Loach
1 Angelfish
10 Gallon
empt- but running

This is cool place to make a extra budget for ur fishies by reading emails
http://hits4pay.com/members/index.cgi?Virus
virus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 01:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to JProx Send a message via AIM to JProx
i believe the film they are talking about, is the protective film that is on all acrylic, to keep it from getting scratched during handling and the cutting process. its easily removed after cutting, its sort of like saran wrap, in texture and thickness.

Tags
diy, diy aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com