Diy aquarium decor help !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nkaz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Does anyone have any input ? I would like to sculpt my own aquarium decor and was thinking mixing sand or substrate with 100% silicone to make a moldable substance that will eventually stiffen. Does anyone see any issues with my plan ?

A better way would be to silicone foam together and carve it into whatever shape you want. Then paint concrete over it. It's the same way I did my 3d background that's still currently a work in progress when I get around to it. It takes a while to cure before it's aquarium safe, but the possibilities are nearly endless.

It would look a little more natural and less... painted.. but I got impatient and stopped paying attention to what I was doing.
YdYWCCV.jpg

What type of concrete and foam should I use ?

I used regular styrofoam. I got it in the insulation department of home depot.

This is the video where I got the idea

Instead of using a heat gun I just glossed it over with a propane hand torch. It worked just as well, but faster.

What type of concrete and foam should I use ?

I just learned this...use cement, not concrete. I just picked up a quickrete mortar mix from Lowe's. 10 lb bag was $2.50. My suggestion would also be to mix it a little watery, at least for the first coat. Makes it look so much better.

I've been curious to start working with this. But the cement leaching concerns me. Anyone think you can coat the syrofoam with silicon then coat with sand? Or would that not be durable enough.

I believe the tried and true method is coating the cement with epoxy to prevent leaching

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Cool! Definitely looking forward to experimenting with this soon

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom