DIY Aquarium Hood Part 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pjacques

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello Everyone,
I am preparing to build a hood for my 46 gal aquarium and would love some feedback on my initial designs for the hood. Also not included are the holes in the back for cables as well as I may install a fan to improve circulation.

gmH0ysT.png

VmLuo0n.png

5wUcKve.png

Very cool! Looks like Google Sketch?
What is the darker blue part on the right side supposed to be?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks! It is indeed Google sketch up. Sorry about that I should have explained the colors.
The large blue rectangle is the tank.
The dark blue piece coming out on the right side is the filter.
The black piece of the hood is the lid
The lighter blue is the main body of the hood
The yellow piece on the inside is one of three piece that rest on the tank
The red pieces are the sliding mechanisms for the glass

Seems like a really nice design! On the middle pic: is that one side missing just to show the inside? Or will it be completely open on that side?

It looks great! My only suggestion would be to add a ventilation hole and a fan to help with o2 exchange

Thanks! I definitely plan on having a ventilation fan, unfortunately it is on the side I didn't include so it was possible to see the inside in the screen shots. I also plan on having two smaller holes on the back panel for cables

I know an easy way to make a vent. fan. Take a fan out of an old computer power supply, strip the wires, take an old style phone charger and cut the wires, then crimp the fan wires and charger wires together. Plug in phone charger and fan comes on. Just make sure amp on charger and fan match up.

I know an easy way to make a vent. fan. Take a fan out of an old computer power supply, strip the wires, take an old style phone charger and cut the wires, then crimp the fan wires and charger wires together. Plug in phone charger and fan comes on. Just make sure amp on charger and fan match up.

Thats my plan :) the only extra thing I am going to add is some sort of voltage control so I can adjust the speed of the fan.

Back
Top Bottom