DIY Aquarium hood -- what paint to use for interior?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ph7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Simply put, I'm building an aquarium hood, but to insure both its longevity and non-toxicity -- what paint should be used for the interior of the hood?

The design allows for very ample ventilation and LED lighting will be used, so high temps and excessive dampness and evaporation aren't anticipated.

Sent from my Droid using Aquarium Advice App

I recently made one and put two coats of polyurethane on then I'm gonna add some type of oil-based paint on it.

I used regular old white latex house paint, flat. But then put 3 coats of polyurethane (the type called "spar varnish") over that. I figured, if it's tough enough to use on boats, it should be ok over a tank! One drawback...polyurethane (at least the one I used) has a slight yellow tint. And it has "ambered" over the last 3 years. So the painted areas look yellow in there now, but the light itself does not seem to be yellow in the tank.

An extra step that I took, which may or may not be necessary, was to apply a bead of tank-safe white silicone sealer at all the seams, after the polyurethane dried really well. That is where I thought moisture might collect, and creep thru to unprotected wood. With lots of ventilation, that might not be needed.

Where did you purchase the tank-safe silicone? From what I understand, it's near impossible to find, and I think its a good idea.

Rebel1970 said:
I would check out the epoxy paint. That might be what you are looking for.
Good Luck

Do you have a preference as to where you get epoxy paint?

By the way, Glassbird, I appreciate the time you took to respond in such detail. The post was very helpful.

Colored aquarium-safe silicone has been hard to find for me as well, but the regular clear GE Silicone 1 is 100% silicone and totally safe for aquarium use. It comes in nifty caulking tubes for around 3-4$.

LemurLad said:
Colored aquarium-safe silicone has been hard to find for me as well, but the regular clear GE Silicone 1 is 100% silicone and totally safe for aquarium use. It comes in nifty caulking tubes for around 3-4$.

Where do you buy it?

Oh, dur, should've said that in my last post. Any home improvement store should have caulking tubes of silicone. Home Depot, Ace, Lowes, etc. Just be sure to get GE Silicone I and not Silicone II. II has anti-mildew agents that will harm your fish. Though, you're applying it to the hood... So either would probably be fine.

Hey thanks Lemur! I didn't think you could get it at a hardware store--I've read that it's hard to find.

Do you have any silicone application tips for a silicone newbasaur?

Heheh, no problem. How to Reseal an Aquarium has some great tips, with images. For your purposes, the main thing to grab from there would be to apply a quarter inch bead of silicone to the joints that you're sealing. Then you just run your finger along it to press it in and smooth it. :)

Back
Top Bottom