DIY AQUARIUM STAND

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

panther1505

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just purchased a 42 gallon aquarium, and now I would like to build a stand for it. I'm not really crazy about the stands at my LFS. I found the GARF website. I typed in the dimensions of the stand I would like to build. When the instruction screen popped up, it said that I should fasten the 2X4's for the frame together using wood screws.
My problem is, the many other articles that I've read before I found the GARF website said not to use nails, or screws to fasten the frame together, bacause of warpage over time, which would cause the nails, or screws to loosen, and cause the holes to enlongate.
Does anyone know if this is true?
If it is true, does anyone know where I could get some DIY plans to build my own stand?
Thank you very much for your time.

If your not going to use nails or screws then what will you use? Glue certinly should not be the only thing holding them together expecially in a wet enviorment. Not everyone has the money to get those little biskit joiners and then it all comes down to it that uses glue on the biscket aswell.

Long wood screws will do fine. Countersink them and then putty over them and seal with a poly.

I think the articles meant not to use screw or nails ALONE. You must use glue for proper hold.

Good quality cabinet glue will hold a ton (literally). I've built beds for my kids using only cabinet glue (and proper joints), and in 5 years of jumping, etc, there is not a hint of joint failure.

I would not use glue alone for a garf stand - however, there is not enough surface area using glue on simple butt joints. I'd use glue AND screws. For wet areas, use polyurathane glue, which won't seperate in water - but read instructions carefully - it is a bit tricky to use.

If you can cut accurate half lap joints, then I would trust glue alone. .... On second though - no - 100 gal of water is no fun to clean up. I'd still glue & screw.

See my post on shaker style stand here for some ideas on joinery options.

I agree with jsoong. I would also add to simply not use nails at all. With expansion and contraction of the wood over the years from changes in temperature the nails will begin to loosen. I would deffinitely go with screws and glue.

Back
Top Bottom