DIY Aqueon / Python Faucet Attachment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

molly100a

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone know how to make one of these using pvc or plumbing pipe, I'm tired of replacing this part as they crack and become useless.

Does anyone know how to make one of these using pvc or plumbing pipe, I'm tired of replacing this part as they crack and become useless.
Do you mean the part that screws into the faucet and then into the main part of the water changes??

Is this the piece you're talking about:
11333_400wh.jpg

If so, it looks like a faucet adapter piece at the top, a T in the middle (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mueller-...S-x-FIPT-Tee-402-005HC/100146772#.Udv81lKQHYY) with a barb connector (www.homedepot.com/p/Watts-5-8-in-x-3-4-in-Plastic-Barb-x-Garden-Hose-Coupling-A-484/100207705) for the hose (you could use a hose clamp like this instead of the fancy plastic piece: Ideal 1/2 - 1-1/4 in. Hose Repair Clamp-6712595 at The Home Depot), and then a ball valve at the bottom to control the flow (Search Results for*ball valve pvc*at The Home Depot).

Last edited:
You're welcome :)

When using this, do you need to keep the faucet running to maintain the siphon?

You're welcome :)

When using this, do you need to keep the faucet running to maintain the siphon?

it depends on the difference in height between the water source/faucet and the tank. if the tank stands taller than the source(preferably >1-2 feet), then you just need an initial running of the water. otherwise you do need to have water running because of the physics/chemistry called "surface tension"

Actually, it's hydrostatic pressure that keeps the water flowing (I'm an engineer) :)

The reason I asked was that I could see the ball valve allowing air to enter into the siphon (from the faucet/plumbing connections, etc), potentially breaking it, and keeping the water running from the faucet would prevent this.

Actually, it's hydrostatic pressure that keeps the water flowing (I'm an engineer) :)

The reason I asked was that I could see the ball valve allowing air to enter into the siphon (from the faucet/plumbing connections, etc), potentially breaking it, and keeping the water running from the faucet would prevent this.

yes, physics speaking it's called hydrostatic pressure. but in order to build on the pressure, the water molecules need to pull on each other, hence "surface tension"

I just siphon down the sink. But I just realized a few weeks ago that I should be siphoning it into my rose beds, so I gotta plumb something out for that. Just what I need, another project :)

Back
Top Bottom