DIY auto top-off system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoot

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been fuddling around trying to design a bracket out of acrylic to hold a float valve, which connects to my RODI filter, for automatic top-offs.

I found out I'm going on vacation for a few days next week (a family thing), and had to get something in place.

So, I'm looking around for plastic I can cut, glue, melt, bend, etc., and I ran across the intake cover off a RIO pump (that isn't in use). It was a rounded box, open on one side where you'd mount it to the pump, and it had "grill" cuts on two edges, for water intake.

I had me an idea.

I cut one of the grill notches all the way from one corer to the other. That cut, with some extra shaving, fit perfectly over a 1/8" baffle in my sump.

A little further down the box, I cut out 3 of the intake slots on each site, and mounted the float valve on one side, the water tubing coming in the other side. Slipped it down over the baffle (its a tight fit), and voila! Instant 5 minute top-off system ;) I tested it by adjusting the water level a bit in the main tank (raising the overflow box up and down), and made sure the return pump, which is in the same section of the sump, can't possibly interfere with the movement of the float.

I'll keep an eye on it tonight, but it looks good. If I wanted, I could silicone the box/bracket to the baffle, but its very solid - the notches are a pefect fit on the baffle, and tight enough its difficult to get on and off.

I'll post a picture up later when I get a chance.

Back
Top Bottom