DIY auto-topoff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottayy

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, this is the simplest auto-topoff probably ever. It's just gravity fed with a float valve. :)

Firstly I installed a shelf above my sump.
Then I got this float valve from foster and smith:
p-70397-48814-fish.jpg

Then I attatched it to the return compartment of my sump. Had to turn it sideways and mount it on the front because of space issues but it still works the same.

(sideways picture)
2058vo7.jpg

Then I attached the RO tubing to my water reservoir (4.25 gallon plastic container) using a "quick connect male adapter". I actually got the hole so perfect I was able to thread the fitting through the plastic container.. so the fit is TIGHT. Then I siliconed around the inside and outside. I am going to order a nylon nut to secure it though.

(sideways picture again)
fao1l4.jpg

Now I'm just waiting for the silicone to cure before I leak test it. Finally! Stable salinity without me worrying about daily topoffs and my pump running half dry. Now I only need to worry about filling up the reservoir.

Here's my whole laboratory underneath the tank :cool:

20qhlf.jpg

Yes, it is half inch solid wood.. not particle board. 4 gallons times what.. 8 lbs a gallon = 32 lbs.

It could handle 100 ;) Plus I have steel brackets with 2 1/2" screws in there on all four corners.

Had a leak on the tubing connection ;<
so i silicone'd the crap out of it! :D is there nothing silicone won't fix

Very nice, Im a freshwater water guy, so easier to fill the tank back up, but that is very intresting. Maybe when I upgrade to a bigger tank. Congrats your sump, auto top off lab looks great.

Thank you. :)
Well, this quick connect threaded male adapter fitting i got is a piece of crap. The ro tube just slipped right out of it this morning.
Going to scour ebay to see if i can find something made for ro tubing.

Actually, it works great. I just didn't know how to use it properly >.<. I tore off the silicone and tried again, and now it's leak free without the silicone.

652uzn.jpg

I marked the water lines on the water reservoir and the sump container. Just to make sure the reservoir line goes down and the sump container stays the same. I might have to adjust the level of the float valve a little bit.

Me? Not at all! Just jealous that you can do a DIY sump and all. :)

Really meant that, it is a great job!

i'd be worried about salt creep on the float valves hinge, but i was going to get one to in a larger sytem

I shouldn't have to worry about salt creep too much. It's RO/DI water flowing through the tubes and there's no splashing. But I'll probably swab it when i do my weekly maintenance just to be sure.

@carey, I'm by no means talented. I just have motivation and a little bit of common sense. I enjoy doing DIY stuff, but the things i've done anyone could do.

You will get the salt creep build up on the float valve from your sump over time. That is the same setup I have in my humidifier for my furnace. Great job. Sure beats a $250 Tunze Osmolator.

Wow now that's a sump on a budget! I would have never thought to use plastic containers :)

Cool!

It would've been cheap had I not messed it up so many times LOL
I probably bought 12 containers (at $5 a piece), 5 tubes of silicone (at $4 a piece).. then I needed to buy a hacksaw and a drill (because I didn't have them). Definitely more things I can't think of.

and, it is working :)

34iof8m.jpg

I doubt that container will last me from week to week for weekly maitenance.

Back
Top Bottom