Diy background

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sayf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Please let me know what you think of my background which I'm working on it. Does those side pillar looks nice or it looks ott?

Attachments

• image-3374543566.jpg
    image-3374543566.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 2,110
Thanks for everyones reply. Gonna start dipping them in cement on Saturday. Will leave it natural cement colour not gonna add any fancy colour cos once the algee starts growing in the tank it will become darker.
And yeah I'll have to double make sure that its properly secured with sealant otherwise ill be devastated!

Nice work!

If this isn't going to be an african cichlid tank, I'd stay away from using cement.

BigJim said:
Nice work!

If this isn't going to be an african cichlid tank, I'd stay away from using cement.

It's going to be a Yellow and blue lab cichlids tank or I might transfer my baby oscars here till they outgrow this tank.
If it's not cement then what else can I use?
I only do cichlids now. Stop doing tropical fish or cold water.

I too have built my own background however it is not coated in anything yet.
I have noticed someone mentioning not using cement.
Would Drylock work instead?

Oops, probably should have also mentioned,
I am loving the pillars, awesome job on the build.

Viper has a nice thread here about DIY foam backgrounds. I believe he used a resin to coat his creations.

Current stage of my background

This is my background as it stands right now. Trying not to be lazy and get it finished.

Attachments

• Fish2 035.jpg
    Fish2 035.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 192
  • Fish2 036.jpg
    Fish2 036.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 185
Vicksta said:
I too have built my own background however it is not coated in anything yet.
I have noticed someone mentioning not using cement.
Would Drylock work instead?

I am going to use Sikatop 107 2 part waterproof sealer. Also a 2 part marine resin/epoxy would work as well to seal cement or drylock.

Awesome, thanks for the info on that. I was really scratching my head on what to top coat it with to make it safe.

I used drylock on mine. I gave it a natural limestone color finish with quickrete concrete tint. I would have done the cement thing but I didn't have the patience to let it cure and leach for weeks on end.

Will the drylock be safe enough to use in the aquarium? I am sure I read on here somewhere someone advising against it.

Vicksta said:
Will the drylock be safe enough to use in the aquarium? I am sure I read on here somewhere someone advising against it.

I have looked at allot of DIY background threads and there have been people that have used drylock but I believe they sealed it with an epoxy. I would really look into the Sikatop 107 it's a two part waterproof sealer, it is 100% nontoxic, safe in potable water sources and can be colored with cement dye. I contacted Nufish a member of a cichlid forum who used it on his DIY background and he has had in his tank for 8 years an it's still holding up with no fish loss. It can be a little expensive but worth it in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom