DIY Background cementing question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Viper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK so I'm in the final stages of my DIY background and I have a simple question regarding my last coat of cement. I went out and bought Quikrete Liquid Cement Color (Buff to be exact) and also the Quikrete Acrylic Cement Fortifier (To strengthen the cement). My question is:

Am I able to mix both the color and the acrylic fortifier in the same coat of cement? I'm a rookie when it comes to cementing so I want to make sure I don't cause some adverse reaction when doing this.

Any help will be much appreciated!

Thanks.

I believe yes as the final coat is the most prone to damage, how are you going to cure the cement?

BTW I ended up not using the acrylic cement fortifier because it said that it is not for use with polymer modified products, which my Quikrete concrete resurfacer actually is. So the color is all that I used.

Doesn't the cement cure itself if left untouched for 24 hours?

it will be "set" in 24 hrs, 30 days to cure and 50 years or so to reach its ultimate hardness lol, you will have to fill and drain the tank many times to level out the pH, it will go very high for some time

it will be "set" in 24 hrs, 30 days to cure and 50 years or so to reach its ultimate hardness lol, you will have to fill and drain the tank many times to level out the pH, it will go very high for some time

Yeah I was aware of the 9-10 times that I will need to drain and refill the tank. It kind of works out anyway cause I will be adding sand as well to the tank at the same time so I will be lowering the pH as well as siphoning out some of the dust kicked up by the sand.

Also, from all of the videos I have seen on youtube about making your own background, once the cement is "set" as you say in 24 hours, it is good to put in the tank.

good stuff!, I did a background with slate and concrete and it took a few water changes to sort out but its really been no problem since then, now I have to ask???where are the pictures ;)

good stuff!, I did a background with slate and concrete and it took a few water changes to sort out but its really been no problem since then, now I have to ask???where are the pictures ;)

I really didn't want to take "In Progress" pictures cause it was my first time attempting something like this and more of a trial and error project. I will, however, put up pictures of the final project with before and after pictures of my tank.

thought of something today, could you please list the brand and type of products you used?

No problem.

1. I used Foamular Insulation Sheathing (The pink polystyrene foam)
  2. Standard utility knives and also a kitchen knife (for cutting the "rocks" to make them look more jagged)
  3. GE Silicone I Window & Door 100% Clear Silicone.
  4. Quikrete Concrete Resurfacer (Which I used a paint brush to apply)
  5. Quikrete Liquid Cement Color (Buff color which turned into more of a brown when mixed with the cement)

all good, I remembered that some of these products have anti mold ingredients added, this one does not so A ok!

no trouble lol, i just suddenly remembered doing the slate and I wanted to use grout, its all got fish killer additives

Back
Top Bottom