DIY Background Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shelleygirl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've made a rock background using foam and cement, its currently in the final stages and about ready to be placed into the aquarium. My question is for those who have made the background using my method is do I need to coat the background with epoxy resin or can I just slap the background in with the bare cement? My concern is if I don't coat the background with something the cement might leech chemicals into the water. Any suggestions or advice?

I would like to see pictures also. I read somewhere that you need to coat the cement with something but now sure with what.

pH seems normal do I still need to coat the BG?

OK, I've soaked my background pieces in water for the last week and a half. The only major changes occured on the first and second day with a high pH spike. After doing several water changes the pH seems to have droped back down to 7-7.2 and has remained there for the last few days Gh and KH were also the same.

Like leoslizards I've read also in numorous sites and forums that a coat of epoxy resin is required but I'm wondering if I still need it since test results show that the pH is settling down.

Any Advice?

Oh yeah, pictures will come later (maybe a couple of months later Sorry!!). After reading Sullas' post I've decided to redo my background and try to test out my artistic flair. So the BG that I just made is considered as a test run.

The epoxy resin is not only for your pH-values. Some fish can scrape off some cement and after a few years your background can be ruined (it shows the foam).
I think the background must be dry before you put on a layer of resin.

This site also shows the making of a background.

Back
Top Bottom