DIY backgrounds?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
do some searching in the DIY forum here. We've had a few folks go through the whole process successfuly. At least 1 or 2 have given VERY detailed posts one their progress.

Nice link! I wish I've found it before I started my project...

I am currently building a 3d background for my 10gal, which will house a F-8 puffer, and now I understand why usually people only build a 3d background for larger tanks. It is a lot of work. The one I am doing uses concrete instead of epoxy, and it is *very* messy, so I am very interested on how the epoxy version works out.
:lol:

Pics comming up soon!

I found more links.. i guess i searched wrong the first time around

Would it be harder to do in a tank that is already inhabited? Because doesn't it have to cure in water? or can it be any water?

I would think so.
I guess they have to cure for a while before being safe for fish.

Today I glued mine to the tank.
I am a bit frustrated, though, because I had a lot of problems adjusting the space behind the "rocks" to hide the hardware. :?

there was this post on this forum where a guy modeled his background after a cambogian buddhist temple. it was amazing, i will try searching for his thread, his finished project was unbelievable.

found it! and if sulla is still around, i would love to see some 'broken in' pics. this creation is still the best 3d background i have ever seen.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=31078&highlight=temple

JProx said:
there was this post on this forum where a guy modeled his background after a cambogian buddhist temple. it was amazing, i will try searching for his thread, his finished project was unbelievable.

found it! and if sulla is still around, i would love to see some 'broken in' pics. this creation is still the best 3d background i have ever seen.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=31078&highlight=temple

Thats the one I was thinking of! Thanks for finding it for us JProx.

lyquidphyre: I would highly reccomend doing this all outside of an established tank. The Cement will cause your PH to swing drastically high while it is curing. Curing CAN be done in a rubbermaid bin or even a garbage can. Then once it's cured you can move it into your display tank.

billy work like that needs to be kept on permenant sticky status, and added to the articles. its been almost a full year now since it was first posted, and i for one have never seen anything as good as that on this forum.

even to this day the finished product is amzing.

JProx said:
billy work like that needs to be kept on permenant sticky status, and added to the articles. its been almost a full year now since it was first posted, and i for one have never seen anything as good as that on this forum.

even to this day the finished product is amzing.

*ponders*

Agreed.

Done.

Update on my 3D Background attempt (for a 10gal):

After 3 trials, the cement over styrofoam 3D Background didn't come out good enough to receive my seal of aproval - discarded.

Issues:
1. carving styrofoam = huge mess
2. cement = more mess
3. too much water displacement by background
4. dificult to hide hardware behind background without running into #3 (increased water displacement) or diminished water flow (from canister filter).

That said:
I still didn't give up on having a 3D background for the 10gal, but I would not attempt this technique for a small tank again.

what were you using to carve the stryofoam ? sulla used a heat knife, (like a wood burning craft tool, but with different ends) and if you have a harbor tool and frieght around you, i picked up a hot knife kit from them for 7bucks. i doubt i will ever use it for DIY backgrounds but if i do, at least i am ready.

Back
Top Bottom