DIY backgrounf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Loukas42

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want to paint the back of my tank, what's the best paint for that?

I don't know what the best paint is, but I am about to use acrylic craft paint to paint mine! I have never painted a background but I have read that it works and you can change it later if you decide. I have read 3 coats, up and down, then back and forth, then up and down using hair dryer in between.

I want to paint the back of my tank, what's the best paint for that?

Methods differ. I painted a 65g with black Krylon spray. The results were satisfactory... meaning that while viewing the tank the background is exactly as expected. So, I'm happy with it,

That said, the rear of the tank is bumpy...almost as though there was grit in the paint which I highly doubt. And, it took 2+ cans! The paint does not easily cover glass as advertised. But, if you start with a light coat and let it dry, you can build up successive coats from there and get it opaque. The surface on the glass will appear smooth.

After searching youtube, I discovered other approaches such as using latex and a brush. Some folks think that's the way to go. In fact, I noticed a comment from someone who suggested painting an MDF board so that you can change colors whenever your mood changes. He offered no suggestions as to how to affix the MDF. So, not sure how that gets done while preventing water from dripping between the painted MDF and the glass. It sounds like an interesting approach, especially if one wanted to add a new background to an existing unpainted reef or fish tank.

Anyway, there some ideas for you to check out.

Back
Top Bottom