DIY black pfs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlackMagic

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone, since I can't find any black sand I thought ill just DIY my own.
It pretty easy to do all u need is some safe spray paint.

Step 1. Wash ur pfs. Make sure the water is clear
Step 2. Lay the pfs out, let it dry out. Once the pfs is dry leave it lay.
Step 3. Use the color you want, spray it with the paint. dont be cheap use as much as u think it need. Let it dry mix it up all around, spray again, keep doing it till you think its done or till ur happy. Let dry ... throw it back into the bin or bucket, add water n wait.
Once u think everything is set ...drain the water out, add th sand to ur tank.

Pass this around to friends and share the idea.

I'll report any pro n con on.

Note: in the long run the paint might fade off so let it cure, the longer u cure it the longer it will last in water. Same thing as spraying you pvc

Hi everyone, since I can't find any black sand I thought ill just DIY my own.
It pretty easy to do all u need is some safe spray paint.

Step 1. Wash ur pfs. Make sure the water is clear
Step 2. Lay the pfs out, let it dry out. Once the pfs is dry leave it lay.
Step 3. Use the color you want, spray it with the paint. dont be cheap use as much as u think it need. Let it dry mix it up all around, spray again, keep doing it till you think its done or till ur happy. Let dry ... throw it back into the bin or bucket, add water n wait.
Once u think everything is set ...drain the water out, add th sand to ur tank.

Pass this around to friends and share the idea.

I'll report any pro n con on.

Note: in the long run the paint might fade off so let it cure, the longer u cure it the longer it will last in water. Same thing as spraying you pvc

i honestly dont see this ending well, but good luck(y)

It work on pvc, plastics my pvc over flow.
I'm sure it till work on pfs.

Once my tank is ready ill start adding fish.
That's the main part.

Tahitian Moon Sand, Petsmart's Super Naturals, black blasting sand, black pool filter sand, and my choice: Estes' Ultra Reef (won't affect any chemistry) are all black sand options.

Tahitian Moon Sand, Petsmart's Super Naturals, black blasting sand, black pool filter sand, and my choice: Estes' Ultra Reef (won't affect any chemistry) are all black sand options.

I got 4 green bag of este's, didn't like it much.

My plan is to use what I already have n spend nothing.

I wouldn't like the green either. What (besides color) did you not like about it?

3m is kinda small, I like the pfs it'd 20m nice size.

I just don't like the size of estes, maybe if it come in bigger size ill use it.

I think Estes' is perfect, large enough to sink fast, keep just enough space between grains to let oxygen in to the whole sand bed, but still be sand. You may have gotten a small batch. I have noticed from time to time that a box will be smaller than usual. Hopefully that is all that was.

Back
Top Bottom