DIY Bogwood. Will it work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chris_topher

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Recently, I have acquired myself a slightly rotted( to give it a 'been there long time' effect) piece of Western Red Cedar for my 10-gallon tank from the forest behind our house. I've already put the piece in a big bucket to get waterlogged, and I'm starting to wonder if Western Red Cedar will work fine. I've done my homework and I know enough(hopefully) about the tannins and the time it'll take, but nothing had been said about types of wood you can and/or shouldn't use, or if it can be slightly rotted.:confused: Help would be really appreciated! :D

I don't know about the type of wood, but--

I did do something reckless about 6 months ago and added a chunk of rotting-ish wood to my tank. I just scrubbed and chipped at it to get the loose/soft stuff off. Then washed it well. Chucked it in the tank and "sandbagged" it with plastic fish bags full of gravel, with small holes punched in the bags to let the air out.

It's a perfect shelter for my 15" pleco, otherwise I probably wouldn't have taken a chance with a hunk of wood that had who-knows-what on/in it and was already breaking down.

I do check the pH more often than usual to make sure it's not dropping much from the wood, and all seems well.

You should not use cedar unless it is very well seasoned. Since cedar is aromatic, it gives off resins and some have reported problems. Others had no problems with well aged piece. You use cedar at your own risk!

Other woods to avoid - any pine with pith, <actually most people just say avoid all softwood altogether,> any poisonous species (like black walnut).

Thanks for replying and letting me know! You probably saved me some time and my fish. I really liked the piece of wood, but I don't want to kill my fish. I really wanted to do my own, but I'll probably go check out what they have at the pet stores regarding aquaria wood(hopefully not Mopani, it's too common and flavorless;)). Hopefully a nice hole-y(not religious) piece! Thank ya'll.

i wouldnt even chance it man like seriously u could kill all ur fish in that tank if its not the right stuff

Back
Top Bottom