DIY Breeding Trap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmm, I'm curious as well! Mind if I tag along? P.S maybe make a wall with lots of nylon tights cut up lengthwise and sown (sp?) together and somehow attached to the tank??

smileyface9 said:
Hmm, I'm curious as well! Mind if I tag along? P.S maybe make a wall with lots of nylon tights cut up lengthwise and sown (sp?) together and somehow attached to the tank??

Sure you can tag along! I think thats a good idea for the walls, so we'll need to figure out how to get the fry to the bottom and keep the parent at the top.

That's a good idea! But what about fry on top since some fry might die just from not being strong enough? And maybe do the nylon idea but sow it longer and somehow suction cup it across the tank so that the big fish can't move it? Anyone else know of other ideas or have any ideas?

Here's my idea,
1. Get a small plastic container
2. Cut off one side
3. Attach the nylon tights (for water flow)
4. Get spaced plastic mesh/net (big enough for fry to fall through)
5. Get 2 plastic hooks
6. Cut the plastic net to size
7. Attach hooks for easy insert and removal into and from the container
8. Get suction cup
9. Attach it to the plastic side of the container
10. Put into the tank

What do you think? I came up with this quickly, so we can work out any flaws.

Aquarist1234 said:
Here's my idea,
1. Get a small plastic container
2. Cut of one side
3. Attach the nylon leggings
4. Get spaced plastic mesh/net (big enough for fry to fall through)
5. Get 2 plastic hooks
6. Cut the plastic net to size
7. Attach hooks for easy insert and removal into and from the container
8. Get suction cup
9. Attach it to the plastic side of the container
10. Put into the tank

What do you think?

Sounds good to me, just make sure the plastic isn't sharp.. And that sounds complicated, but possible.

smileyface9 said:
Sounds good to me, just make sure the plastic isn't sharp.. And that sounds complicated, but possible.

I agree with the plastic, it'll need to be checked. My total for all this is roughly $10. Maybe a bit more.

Aquarist1234 said:
I agree with the plastic, it'll need to be checked. My total for all this is roughly $10. Maybe a bit more.

Good luck! :) post pics as you make it if you decide to go with that idea.

Back
Top Bottom