DIY broken brace in 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blur411

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought a used 55 gallon tank, and the center brace was broken. I tried to reapply it with aquarium silicone, and it broke off again a day later. I read that using a custom piece of glass would be best, so I bought that today and put it in with silicone. I'm hoping it stays, but for some reason I feel that if the bar broke after a day, the glass will too. Anyone have a similar experience, and have advice? Should I just buy a new tank?

Takes lots of work, but you can remove the upper trim layer and then order a replacement if the aquarium is a standard 55 made by one of the bigger companies.

So are you saying the fix I did wont work? What I was reading is that those bars break quite often, so I didn't want to replace with cheap plastic again for it to break again. Any other inputs?

Take off the trim get a piece of glass cut to span the gap silicone on. Then cut the appropriate notches in the trim to accommodate the new glass brace then re-silicone the trim back on.

I pretty much did this except I didn't remove the plastic, I just put it under the plastic part. Is this not going to work?

blur411 said:
I pretty much did this except I didn't remove the plastic, I just put it under the plastic part. Is this not going to work?

No, because there's nothing keeping the glass from flexing.

The glass I put in there should be doing that, It is going across the tank, siliconed to each side of glass. I guess I don't see the difference.

If its resting on either side of the glass and glued in place then it should be fine. Let it cure for 24-48 hours and then slowly fill it up with water and see if it holds.

Back
Top Bottom