DIY c02

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Haha well I just empty the contents and mix it up again. Takes 5 mins. I do it with my regular maintenance of my tank. But the automated systems are nice for sure.

I don't think thats it. Does it say excel on the bottle? I think you have flourish comprehensive. Yes, spot dosing excel will kill algea because it has an algeacide in it, even though seachem wont admit it lol its name escapes me right now, but i think it call gulahydrate? Im pretty sure I butchered that name pretty badly though haha

Nope doesn't say excel on it. It's the comprehensive solution. No much i can do with it then I take?

Austin.b said:
Aside from just dosing normal ferts, no. Sorry

ah it's cool. I've decided to attempt a black out on the algae. the tank still gets household light, which isn't too intense but apart from that I'm going to try and starve it and see if that helps. I'm going to attempt another co2 DIY set up until my unit arrives late this week.

should algae die off, or plants 'win out', if:

1. water parameters are ok (I don't have any way of checking base elements though)
2. light and co2 are in equal proportions
3. I fertilize once to twice a week

?? :)

themox said:
ah it's cool. I've decided to attempt a black out on the algae. the tank still gets household light, which isn't too intense but apart from that I'm going to try and starve it and see if that helps. I'm going to attempt another co2 DIY set up until my unit arrives late this week.

should algae die off, or plants 'win out', if:

1. water parameters are ok (I don't have any way of checking base elements though)
2. light and co2 are in equal proportions
3. I fertilize once to twice a week

?? :)

What kind of algea is it? If its BBA or staghorn, a blackout with achieve nothing, I've even heard of cases where a person blacked out his tank for a few months and the algea was still alive.

Yes, I believe so. Maybe someone like aqua_chem or Jetajockey can clarify. There must be an imbalance somewhere in the tank, from too much light, to bad water quality. Try getting some fast growing plants like hornwort, hygrophilia, and some floating plants to suck up some extra nutrients. Also, try bumping up your PWC schedule to 2 times a week, and see if that helps:)

What kind of algea is it? If its BBA or staghorn, a blackout with achieve nothing, I've even heard of cases where a person blacked out his tank for a few months and the algea was still alive.

Yes, I believe so. Maybe someone like aqua_chem or Jetajockey can clarify. There must be an imbalance somewhere in the tank, from too much light, to bad water quality. Try getting some fast growing plants like hornwort, hygrophilia, and some floating plants to suck up some extra nutrients. Also, try bumping up your PWC schedule to 2 times a week, and see if that helps:)

thanks mate,

it's a fine hair algae, mainly on my java fern. i'll add a picture in a few hours. i'm scared it will eventually start growing on my other plants but as yet it's mainly on the ferns. they are closest to the light and there is no co2 as yet (long story and stupid DIY not working). this is coming later this week.

the water parameters at last check were all fine (i'm at work now so can't quote them) but they were tested last night and were not horribly up high. PH is stable at 6.8-7 also.

i've been doing 40-50% water changes since i set up the tank, once a week. this has been for approx 3 weeks. i have added two guppies for a fish-in cycle but not until last week. they've been ok and haven't died at all nor shown signs of sickness or stress.

i've been using the seachem stuff (flourish comprehensive) twice weekly, dosing 1mL every week.

i'll pop a picture in later to see what else can be done :)

As I put the diffuser in I saw the water run up a bit but is this normal since it's in water and the tube that goes from the diffuser goes into the 16 oz bottle thats halfway filled with water?

Fishandmusic81 said:
As I put the diffuser in I saw the water run up a bit but is this normal since it's in water and the tube that goes from the diffuser goes into the 16 oz bottle thats halfway filled with water?

There should be no water in the tube from the co2 bottles but tank water will go into the tube to the water line and will be pushed out as the pressure builds

jkdubs2 said:
There should be no water in the tube from the co2 bottles but tank water will go into the tube to the water line and will be pushed out as the pressure builds

Alright sweet just a matter of waiting now

paytertot said:
How long has it been? If it hasn't been long, it still could become stronger

Not long the pressure just got to the end of the tube maybe an hour or less and the bubble counter water bottle is letting out a bubble every 3 seconds or so
So just let it sit there?

Fishandmusic81 said:
Not long the pressure just got to the end of the tube maybe an hour or less and the bubble counter water bottle is letting out a bubble every 3 seconds or so
So just let it sit there?

Yea give it time, it will get stronger as pressure increases

My bubbles come out at alternate seconds. One bottle one second, then the next bottle the next second. Should I put it lower down in the tank? It's only 4 inches in the water...

well what do you know...I finally got it to work lol. found my leaks and used decent sealant and I can finally see the bubbles. now it's just a case of keeping them in the tank for longer...what a horrible experience lol

themox said:
well what do you know...I finally got it to work lol. found my leaks and used decent sealant and I can finally see the bubbles. now it's just a case of keeping them in the tank for longer...what a horrible experience lol

Congrats lol
Could you post a pic of it?

Back
Top Bottom