Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-29-2012, 10:51 AM   #41
Aquarium Advice FINatic

One like that only use a 2 liter bottle with a check valve in the middle
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2012, 04:55 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I guess next time I go to he LHS I'll pick up some 100% silicone aquarium sealant. It is aquarium safe so I'll put it on immediately.

This project has been annoying me so much. Everytime I walk by the poorch I sigh because it's all ready it's just not sealed yet lol.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:04 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles0oO
Well I guess next time I go to he LHS I'll pick up some 100% silicone aquarium sealant. It is aquarium safe so I'll put it on immediately.

This project has been annoying me so much. Everytime I walk by the poorch I sigh because it's all ready it's just not sealed yet lol.
Lol I just sealed mines I used construction sealant i have to wait 48 hours now for it to dry then the moment of truth will come lol
Old 04-29-2012, 05:07 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishandmusic81

Lol I just sealed mines I used construction sealant i have to wait 48 hours now for it to dry then the moment of truth will come lol
Good luck! I've never had success using DIY CO2. I've tried it 3 different times, but still can't seem to get it. If not one thing, its the other, CO2 leaking or the mix going bad and stopping after 3 days.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:32 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow I had success my first time. Must have gotten lucky from the sound of things.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:04 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by themox View Post
sadly the DIY route is getting too much for me.

I bought a sealant, which i then opened up and it told me it was all sorts of poisonous (even to breathe, and that in california, it's ingredients were known to cause heart failure and cancer). so yeah...rather than go back and go on and on and on, i'm a DIY drop out.

if it's not one thing, it's the other, and sadly i don't have time to keep fixing something, to then have a subpar set up. it comes down to not enough time, and then wanting to spend that time i DO get on it, productively, rather than chasing up 15 new things to get every time something goes wrong.

i'm looking into the fluval or potentially paintball style.

good luck with your attempts!

Mox if your going down the pressurised route then you might want to look at a beer brewery they sell regulators and theyd sell it at a way cheaper price you could also try BOC. You would just have to make sure they fit air line. You could also try those electric carbon blocks.

Those paintball setups are fine in the states but that stuff is so expensive here and you may have difficulties matching a regulator to the bottle also having difficulties finding a company that refills that specific connection. Im not saying give up on those paintball setups but its something you would probably have to find out more about.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:07 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Activist

one thing with most silicones is they need physical agitation to bond to surfaces. YOu cant just squeeze it out of the tube and hope for the best give it some love and massage it in!
Old 04-29-2012, 10:00 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin.b

Good luck! I've never had success using DIY CO2. I've tried it 3 different times, but still can't seem to get it. If not one thing, its the other, CO2 leaking or the mix going bad and stopping after 3 days.
same with me mate. if its not one thing it's the other. I don't have days on end to dedicate to it and I'm not totally broke so I'm now looking to spend a bit of money on something decent that I don't have to stress about and clean up every other week
Old 04-29-2012, 10:05 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Magic
one thing with most silicones is they need physical agitation to bond to surfaces. YOu cant just squeeze it out of the tube and hope for the best give it some love and massage it in!
haha thanks monkey, and for your other post too about the paintball/pressurized set ups. gonna be checking it all out this week and hopefully have something up and running by this weekend.

until that's sorted though, some of my plants now have hair string algae, presumably due to high light and 0 co2; should I just give them a 3 day black out? the light is approx 3w per gallon (30 litre tank). I'm worried though as I don't want that kill off my high light requiring plants.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:40 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Activist

You could try dosing co2 tablets to keep the levels up as a temporary measure. ive personally never had any serious issue with algae(touch wood) so hopefully someone who has can give you some info

Tags
diy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com