Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-29-2012, 10:49 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Activist

Actually try looking into dosing flourish excel at higher levels ive heard some algaes dont like this.

That would mean you dont have to blackout the tank. Cutting down you potoperiod slightly might help

Old 04-29-2012, 11:12 PM   #52

If you want a co2 pressurised system you can take a look at what i have! I have a regulator plus diffuser check valve and bubble counter for less than a $100!!! The brand is called aquatek!! Look for it in ebay! And i did tried the paintball adapter from them with the 20oz tank but it didnt work out for me!! But i got lucky and a friend gave me a 20lb co2tank!! And it is working now!! All you gotta do is try to hide it a bit if you dont like the look of the tank! Co2 tanks (20lb) costs about $185 here in puerto rico but you might be lucky if you search for one great deal or even a 5lb is like $120 i think! Ask some one on your local fish store or even on a gas company that deals with co2 tanks like the guy that gave me one!! Too bad he is a lakers fan hahaha im not !!!

Old 04-30-2012, 12:57 AM   #53
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin.b

Good luck! I've never had success using DIY CO2. I've tried it 3 different times, but still can't seem to get it. If not one thing, its the other, CO2 leaking or the mix going bad and stopping after 3 days.
Thanks I'm really hoping it works
Old 04-30-2012, 05:42 AM   #54
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Magic
Actually try looking into dosing flourish excel at higher levels ive heard some algaes dont like this.

That would mean you dont have to blackout the tank. Cutting down you potoperiod slightly might help
I do have some flourish, I'll happily do that. is there a post on it somewhere?

edit: seachem flourish, that's what I have; is that it? haha
Old 04-30-2012, 05:51 AM   #55
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeh thats the one. Yeh it was in a post about some algae not a thread title though
Old 04-30-2012, 07:35 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by themox

I do have some flourish, I'll happily do that. is there a post on it somewhere?

edit: seachem flourish, that's what I have; is that it? haha
I don't think thats it. Does it say excel on the bottle? I think you have flourish comprehensive. Yes, spot dosing excel will kill algea because it has an algeacide in it, even though seachem wont admit it lol its name escapes me right now, but i think it call gulahydrate? Im pretty sure I butchered that name pretty badly though haha
Old 04-30-2012, 09:14 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict

Got some aquarium sealant and am sealing and making mash now, will edit with a pic of it when it's installed!
Old 04-30-2012, 11:54 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin.b

I don't think thats it. Does it say excel on the bottle? I think you have flourish comprehensive. Yes, spot dosing excel will kill algea because it has an algeacide in it, even though seachem wont admit it lol its name escapes me right now, but i think it call gulahydrate? Im pretty sure I butchered that name pretty badly though haha
I'll check this afternoon. thanks for the heads up
Old 05-01-2012, 12:08 AM   #59
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I built mine in a half hour. I just drilled holes smaller than the airline tubing into the lids, and cut the ends of the tubing that were going into the bottles at angles and stuck the end through the bottle cap and pulled with pliers carefully and its air tight. Didn't use any sealer and I use 2 tsp of yeast and 2 cups of sugar in warm water. Worked out great. Then I bought a small power head and ran the tubing into the intake of it to smash the bubbles into tiny ones to diffuse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2585017162.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	92244  
Old 05-01-2012, 01:01 AM   #60
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdubs2
I built mine in a half hour. I just drilled holes smaller than the airline tubing into the lids, and cut the ends of the tubing that were going into the bottles at angles and stuck the end through the bottle cap and pulled with pliers carefully and its air tight. Didn't use any sealer and I use 2 tsp of yeast and 2 cups of sugar in warm water. Worked out great. Then I bought a small power head and ran the tubing into the intake of it to smash the bubbles into tiny ones to diffuse.
yeah that what I did too. my problem I think was that the hole was too much smaller and so the airline ended up with a small fold in between it. when I pressed I could hear a leak. I'm getting a fluval unit myself as I can't be bothered with doing that every 2 weeks

Tags
diy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com