Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 04-29-2012, 10:49 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Monkey Magic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Melbourne australia
Posts: 169
Actually try looking into dosing flourish excel at higher levels ive heard some algaes dont like this.

That would mean you dont have to blackout the tank. Cutting down you potoperiod slightly might help
__________________

__________________
Monkey Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:12 PM   #52
member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 173
If you want a co2 pressurised system you can take a look at what i have! I have a regulator plus diffuser check valve and bubble counter for less than a $100!!! The brand is called aquatek!! Look for it in ebay! And i did tried the paintball adapter from them with the 20oz tank but it didnt work out for me!! But i got lucky and a friend gave me a 20lb co2tank!! And it is working now!! All you gotta do is try to hide it a bit if you dont like the look of the tank! Co2 tanks (20lb) costs about $185 here in puerto rico but you might be lucky if you search for one great deal or even a 5lb is like $120 i think! Ask some one on your local fish store or even on a gas company that deals with co2 tanks like the guy that gave me one!! Too bad he is a lakers fan hahaha im not !!!
__________________

__________________
angelvelez87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:57 AM   #53
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Fishandmusic81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin.b

Good luck! I've never had success using DIY CO2. I've tried it 3 different times, but still can't seem to get it. If not one thing, its the other, CO2 leaking or the mix going bad and stopping after 3 days.
Thanks I'm really hoping it works
__________________
Fishandmusic81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:42 AM   #54
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
themox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Magic
Actually try looking into dosing flourish excel at higher levels ive heard some algaes dont like this.

That would mean you dont have to blackout the tank. Cutting down you potoperiod slightly might help
I do have some flourish, I'll happily do that. is there a post on it somewhere?

edit: seachem flourish, that's what I have; is that it? haha
__________________
whadup, we got JUICE
themox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:51 AM   #55
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Monkey Magic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Melbourne australia
Posts: 169
Yeh thats the one. Yeh it was in a post about some algae not a thread title though
__________________
Monkey Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:35 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Austin.b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by themox

I do have some flourish, I'll happily do that. is there a post on it somewhere?

edit: seachem flourish, that's what I have; is that it? haha
I don't think thats it. Does it say excel on the bottle? I think you have flourish comprehensive. Yes, spot dosing excel will kill algea because it has an algeacide in it, even though seachem wont admit it lol its name escapes me right now, but i think it call gulahydrate? Im pretty sure I butchered that name pretty badly though haha
__________________
Everyone should have at least ONE shrimp tank
Austin.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:14 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bubbles0oO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,264
Got some aquarium sealant and am sealing and making mash now, will edit with a pic of it when it's installed!
__________________
+ =
55g~30g~20g~10g~10g~5.5g~2g~1g~1g
Bubbles0oO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:54 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
themox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin.b

I don't think thats it. Does it say excel on the bottle? I think you have flourish comprehensive. Yes, spot dosing excel will kill algea because it has an algeacide in it, even though seachem wont admit it lol its name escapes me right now, but i think it call gulahydrate? Im pretty sure I butchered that name pretty badly though haha
I'll check this afternoon. thanks for the heads up
__________________
whadup, we got JUICE
themox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:08 AM   #59
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
jkdubs2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 581
I built mine in a half hour. I just drilled holes smaller than the airline tubing into the lids, and cut the ends of the tubing that were going into the bottles at angles and stuck the end through the bottle cap and pulled with pliers carefully and its air tight. Didn't use any sealer and I use 2 tsp of yeast and 2 cups of sugar in warm water. Worked out great. Then I bought a small power head and ran the tubing into the intake of it to smash the bubbles into tiny ones to diffuse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2585017162.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	92244  
__________________
jkdubs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:01 AM   #60
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
themox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdubs2
I built mine in a half hour. I just drilled holes smaller than the airline tubing into the lids, and cut the ends of the tubing that were going into the bottles at angles and stuck the end through the bottle cap and pulled with pliers carefully and its air tight. Didn't use any sealer and I use 2 tsp of yeast and 2 cups of sugar in warm water. Worked out great. Then I bought a small power head and ran the tubing into the intake of it to smash the bubbles into tiny ones to diffuse.
yeah that what I did too. my problem I think was that the hole was too much smaller and so the airline ended up with a small fold in between it. when I pressed I could hear a leak. I'm getting a fluval unit myself as I can't be bothered with doing that every 2 weeks
__________________

__________________
whadup, we got JUICE
themox is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
diy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.