Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-08-2009, 01:16 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
Diy Canister Filter

I wanted to make a canister filter, and I was looking around, and this design seemed like the best option.

DIY Canister Filter

I was wondering about a couple things. Is it better for the pump to push or pull water through the filter? What would be the best media? How can it be made better?

Old 03-08-2009, 10:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

i made a canister filter for my 29 gallon after i rebuild the tank. its using aquarium safe potable water tubing running from a power head into a home drinking water water canister. it only cost a few dollars because I already had most of the materials.

i am running poly filter floss and sponge material used in various other readily available filters.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:10 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

my canister attemtp

I just finished a larger version of this DIY canister. I liked its design best. I am having problem with the silicone seal on the bottom however, as it has a slow leak. Seems like the tub's plastic doesn't adhere real well to the GE Silicone I. Any suggestions?

But the siphon is a real pain to start. Finally I had to fill up the canister while pinching the bottom tube, and then starting it. It does sorta work, but there is always some air trapped on the top of the canister. Can I do better? Perhaps using this squeeze siphon thing inline?

Also, the tubing is flailing about in the tank and if I just bump into them, they fly out of the water and loses siphon, and I have to start all over again. Does anyone has a source for tubing suction cups? The only ones I've seen are for airlines and won't fit my 1/2" ID (or is it OD) tubing.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
If its bonding plastic to plastic, I believe theres something that "welds" the plastics together. It's what's used to seal acrylic tanks I think..
Old 03-10-2009, 12:31 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

you could probably use heater suction cups for the tubing. i've seen them separately at the store.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:35 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I tried this and it worked until I tried siliconing everything, silicone wasn't flexible enough for when I moved the tubes.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:27 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

well, there are suction cups with 1/2" holders, available at most private and chain pet stores...they are used for securing heaters.

if you also go to your local harware store you can get elbows and fittings like i did for my DIY cannister filter...basically i made a hard plastic U to clutch the rim of the tank.

just make sure the fittings are for potable (ie. drinking water) water.

and as far as securing plastic to plastic, be carefull...most epoxies on the market will do that, but, very few of those products are aquarium safe. and if you are planning on securing like silicone hose to a plastic enclosure and trying to glue or tape it there, forget about it.

i am all for cheap, i spent prolly 30 bucks for a set up that can out perform a magnum 350 cannister filter, but, those 30 bucks were carefully spent AND i already had the pump system. however, if you scimp on the wrong parts of a filter set up, you can end up with a leaky or poisonous set up for your fish tank, and either is not a good thing.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:10 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to partypalooza5 Send a message via Yahoo to partypalooza5
I made my DIY canister out of a Lock n' Lock container and it works really well. I think it's best to have an inline pump and have water being PULLED through the canister. Easier to prime and pump doesn't add heat to the water (if that's an issue).

partypalooza5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:57 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by partypalooza5 View Post
I made my DIY canister out of a Lock n' Lock container and it works really well. I think it's best to have an inline pump and have water being PULLED through the canister. Easier to prime and pump doesn't add heat to the water (if that's an issue).

How did you connect your tubes to the container? I also bought a Lock n Lock container to do a DIY canister filter, but I connected the tubing right into the container and used silicone and it just kept ripping off. Any suggestions?
Old 03-29-2009, 12:50 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to partypalooza5 Send a message via Yahoo to partypalooza5
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishCrazyBenBOMB View Post
How did you connect your tubes to the container? I also bought a Lock n Lock container to do a DIY canister filter, but I connected the tubing right into the container and used silicone and it just kept ripping off. Any suggestions?
I just drilled a hole on one side of the bottom and another in the lid. (the lid is the intake and the bottom hole is the connection to the pump)

I tried just connecting the tubing into the container it self but it leaked like crazy.

SO. I went to HD and got some threaded fittings and made mini- bulkheads.

Sofar there arn't any air/water leaks and it works fine. (except the pump I bought has a broken impeller )

EDIT: Around the bulkheads I DID use silicone. Just FYI.

partypalooza5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canister, canister filter, diy, diy canister filter, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com