Diy Canister Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
I wanted to make a canister filter, and I was looking around, and this design seemed like the best option.

DIY Canister Filter

I was wondering about a couple things. Is it better for the pump to push or pull water through the filter? What would be the best media? How can it be made better?

i made a canister filter for my 29 gallon after i rebuild the tank. its using aquarium safe potable water tubing running from a power head into a home drinking water water canister. it only cost a few dollars because I already had most of the materials.

i am running poly filter floss and sponge material used in various other readily available filters.

my canister attemtp

I just finished a larger version of this DIY canister. I liked its design best. I am having problem with the silicone seal on the bottom however, as it has a slow leak. Seems like the tub's plastic doesn't adhere real well to the GE Silicone I. Any suggestions?

But the siphon is a real pain to start. Finally I had to fill up the canister while pinching the bottom tube, and then starting it. It does sorta work, but there is always some air trapped on the top of the canister. Can I do better? Perhaps using this squeeze siphon thing inline?

Also, the tubing is flailing about in the tank and if I just bump into them, they fly out of the water and loses siphon, and I have to start all over again. Does anyone has a source for tubing suction cups? The only ones I've seen are for airlines and won't fit my 1/2" ID (or is it OD) tubing.

If its bonding plastic to plastic, I believe theres something that "welds" the plastics together. It's what's used to seal acrylic tanks I think..

you could probably use heater suction cups for the tubing. i've seen them separately at the store.

well, there are suction cups with 1/2" holders, available at most private and chain pet stores...they are used for securing heaters.

if you also go to your local harware store you can get elbows and fittings like i did for my DIY cannister filter...basically i made a hard plastic U to clutch the rim of the tank.

just make sure the fittings are for potable (ie. drinking water) water.

and as far as securing plastic to plastic, be carefull...most epoxies on the market will do that, but, very few of those products are aquarium safe. and if you are planning on securing like silicone hose to a plastic enclosure and trying to glue or tape it there, forget about it.

i am all for cheap, i spent prolly 30 bucks for a set up that can out perform a magnum 350 cannister filter, but, those 30 bucks were carefully spent AND i already had the pump system. however, if you scimp on the wrong parts of a filter set up, you can end up with a leaky or poisonous set up for your fish tank, and either is not a good thing.

I made my DIY canister out of a Lock n' Lock container and it works really well. I think it's best to have an inline pump and have water being PULLED through the canister. Easier to prime and pump doesn't add heat to the water (if that's an issue).

I made my DIY canister out of a Lock n' Lock container and it works really well. I think it's best to have an inline pump and have water being PULLED through the canister. Easier to prime and pump doesn't add heat to the water (if that's an issue).

How did you connect your tubes to the container? I also bought a Lock n Lock container to do a DIY canister filter, but I connected the tubing right into the container and used silicone and it just kept ripping off. Any suggestions?

How did you connect your tubes to the container? I also bought a Lock n Lock container to do a DIY canister filter, but I connected the tubing right into the container and used silicone and it just kept ripping off. Any suggestions?

I just drilled a hole on one side of the bottom and another in the lid. (the lid is the intake and the bottom hole is the connection to the pump)

I tried just connecting the tubing into the container it self but it leaked like crazy.:(

SO. I went to HD and got some threaded fittings and made mini- bulkheads. :D

Sofar there arn't any air/water leaks and it works fine. (except the pump I bought has a broken impeller :( )

EDIT: Around the bulkheads I DID use silicone. Just FYI.

Last edited:
I just drilled a hole on one side of the bottom and another in the lid. (the lid is the intake and the bottom hole is the connection to the pump)

I tried just connecting the tubing into the container it self but it leaked like crazy.:(

SO. I went to HD and got some threaded fittings and made mini- bulkheads. :D

Sofar there arn't any air/water leaks and it works fine. (except the pump I bought has a broken impeller :( )

EDIT: Around the bulkheads I DID use silicone. Just FYI.

It would be sweet if you could get some pictures up for me :D So I can see your setup.

My DIY canister filter

(I don't want to be hijacking this thread so sorry if i am.. :()

img_969692_0_39b0c796356c249f85f5c4b223e5f210.jpg

img_969692_1_7b9b14d30f903d588d6dbcad0abe96c9.jpg

img_969692_2_88ea9740952acc5b2a5b3a619980bcb8.jpg

img_969692_3_77b5eba3fafbd7a0de9c96e1afb12190.jpg

img_969692_4_0fc6cb67028dbb969a289695aa97533a.jpg

img_969692_5_1957e4c0cb05cb9cd69cfa6c027ed4d0.jpg

img_969692_6_f2632cb2b3ab19e3f0512b0474f5f516.jpg

Last edited:
I had the same problem with the Lock'N'Seal and silicone, and tried all of these methods with no success:

- GE I silicone
- Crazy glue
- PVC pipe primer and cement
- Melting the tubing and the Lock'N'Seal with a soldering iron to "weld" it together :)

Apparently it's the polypropylene. It has a oily texture that doesn't bond well.

Finally, I got some epoxy putty from Lowes, called Fix-it-Stick, that's the same as the marine epoxy that's sold on DrFosterSmith, and that another forum recommended. I sanded down the surfaces before epoxying them together, and it's water tight and very sturdy.

But I like your bulkhead ideas better, except that I was using 1/2" tubing and couldn't find bulkheads that fit.

How did you join the tubing to the bulkhead? I couldn't quite make out from the photos. Some sort of compression fitting?

Actually on that bottom bulkhead its a fitting for the Quiet one pump i got. The fittings are like 1/2". I just pressed 1/2" tubing into them (mainly because it's all I had at the time lol)

The top one is a 1/2" threaded adapter with a small peice of 1/2" pipe in it. I also just pressed in some 1/2" tubing. (probably should get proper fittings but eh. it's working fine. :D)

Back
Top Bottom