Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-19-2009, 10:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

DIY Canister Filter

I'm just trying to find out if this would be sound in principle as a method of getting some extra biological filtration.

The main chamber would be about 8inches diameter & about 24inches tall.
I haven't worked out the pump size yet but my tank top is at waist height so I'm thinking about 1000-1500lt/hr should give me plenty of flow.

I would probably use a PVC main chamber with a threaded cap for the top. Using pvc fittings to mount the pump & inlet/outlet hoses. A rubber cork would be used to seal around the power cord.

I will use inline taps & connecters to allow the unit to be disconnected easily for cleaning.

As I said this is for principle only. The idea is still being refined so suggestions of what I may have trouble with & how I might improve it are very welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DIY Canister Filter.jpg
Views:	1286
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	20708  

Old 09-20-2009, 01:00 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to partypalooza5 Send a message via Yahoo to partypalooza5
I made something similar to this, worked wonders while I had it together. (top bulkhead broke.. )

Basically, I had the same idea but there was a pump outside the canister that sucked water through the "inlet" port on your diagram, and created a vacuum inside the container, so water was sucked in the "output" on your diagram, The water trickled through gravel (or the media of your choice) and then was returned to the tank. The only thing that's super important is to make sure all the fittings are liquid AND air tight, any air that gets sucked into the canister will cause the pump to lose prime and make annoying noises.

But overall, the system worked good for me and if I ever get around to getting a new bulkhead for the top then I'll put it back on my 10g.

(I have pictures I'll put in when I find them)

partypalooza5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 02:27 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I'm basically trying to copy the same principle as a canister filter. The whole lot will be below the water line so as to minimise co2 loss. I will probably run co2 into it in fact to act as a diffuser. If it works I will anyway.

Tags
canister, canister filter, diy, diy canister filter, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com