DIY Canister Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Somethings Fishy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm just trying to find out if this would be sound in principle as a method of getting some extra biological filtration.

The main chamber would be about 8inches diameter & about 24inches tall.
I haven't worked out the pump size yet but my tank top is at waist height so I'm thinking about 1000-1500lt/hr should give me plenty of flow.

I would probably use a PVC main chamber with a threaded cap for the top. Using pvc fittings to mount the pump & inlet/outlet hoses. A rubber cork would be used to seal around the power cord.

I will use inline taps & connecters to allow the unit to be disconnected easily for cleaning.

As I said this is for principle only. The idea is still being refined so suggestions of what I may have trouble with & how I might improve it are very welcome.

Attachments

• DIY Canister Filter.jpg
    DIY Canister Filter.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 1,525
I made something similar to this, worked wonders while I had it together. (top bulkhead broke.. :()

Basically, I had the same idea but there was a pump outside the canister that sucked water through the "inlet" port on your diagram, and created a vacuum inside the container, so water was sucked in the "output" on your diagram, The water trickled through gravel (or the media of your choice) and then was returned to the tank. The only thing that's super important is to make sure all the fittings are liquid AND air tight, any air that gets sucked into the canister will cause the pump to lose prime and make annoying noises.

But overall, the system worked good for me and if I ever get around to getting a new bulkhead for the top then I'll put it back on my 10g.

(I have pictures I'll put in when I find them)

I'm basically trying to copy the same principle as a canister filter. The whole lot will be below the water line so as to minimise co2 loss. I will probably run co2 into it in fact to act as a diffuser. If it works I will anyway.

Back
Top Bottom