Diy canister filter.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imtcurveball

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was watching that guys YouTube videos the other day and saw the DIY canister filter. I watched it and now I want to do it. After all I have the perfect pump to do it. I have started making it but if you have any advice or anything feel free. Here's what I have so far. Basically all I need. I am going to post again when I make some progress

Attachments

• image-1684173424.jpg
    image-1684173424.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 241
  • image-3240641575.jpg
    image-3240641575.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 259
  • image-3889493734.jpg
    image-3889493734.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 232
What media do you think I should put in it? I'm thinking of using seachem matrix or k1 kaldness. Probably not the k1 though because it's supposed to be fluidized.

I'm just going to use pot scrubbers from the dollar store. Thats a huge space to fill. All the other would cost to much and make the DIY a waste IMO. I got all the scrubbers for 10 bucks.

Just wondering where the pump goes in this setup. Are you putting it on the output side to pull water from the filter, or to push it into the filter? Most DIY canisters that I've seen have the pump inside the sump/bucket. But I have no experience doing it myself.

Out put pulling the water through

have you set this up yet?

Why pulling the water through? I would think pusing it through would be less work for the pump, as there would always be an unrestricted source of water for the pump and enough backpressure would build to push the water through. I would be afraid that the pump might burn out pulling water through. If you are going to pull water through, how are you going to prime it?

Personally, as a fellow DIY canister filter owner powered by a MagDrive\PondMaster pump. Move the pump so it is pushing.

I had mine on the pull like yours, after a week or so I noticed that it was making a ton of noise and when I looked at it, most of the casing had warp badly and was leaking like a sieve. I had to purchase another one, this time in a pushing configuration. Ever since then, it runs quiet enough and had no problems ever since.

I'm not saying that is what will happen to yours, I just wanted to let you know a fellow DIYers experience...

Personally, as a fellow DIY canister filter owner powered by a MagDrive\PondMaster pump. Move the pump so it is pushing.

I had mine on the pull like yours, after a week or so I noticed that it was making a ton of noise and when I looked at it, most of the casing had warp badly and was leaking like a sieve. I had to purchase another one, this time in a pushing configuration. Ever since then, it runs quiet enough and had no problems ever since.

I'm not saying that is what will happen to yours, I just wanted to let you know a fellow DIYers experience...

Ok. I think I'll try it that way but I have done it the other way and it ended up being noisy. Maybe that was the problem

Back
Top Bottom