DIY Canister Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Echistas

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm working on a new project. part of this project is a custom made mid-century style stand for a 12 gallon long tank. My goal is to have absolutely everything hidden in the storage shelf of the stand, and that means a lot of DIY. My wife is an architect and designed the stand

The Stand:

stand Pictures, stand Images, stand Photos, stand Videos - Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

I want to see nothing but the stand, the tank, the light, and two hoses. The stand will have a 32 inch by 5 inch by 8 inch space for me to fit a filter, auto-doser, auto top off, co2 diffuser, and electronics. It needs to be safe, effective, and reliable. While the stand is under construction, I decided to work on the first part of my build -- The filter.

It needed to fit inside a limited space, and be absolutely 100% leak proof. It also needed to have enough space for a reasonable amount of media, and built in such a way that I could easily take it apart for maintenance. I scoured the web for ideas, but doesn't seem like anyone was able to get a truly leak-proof custom canister without using those hard to maintain pvc pipes. Here's what I came up with.

DIY Canister1 Pictures, DIY Canister1 Images, DIY Canister1 Photos, DIY Canister1 Videos - Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
diy canister2 Pictures, diy canister2 Images, diy canister2 Photos, diy canister2 Videos - Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Pretty self explanatory from the pictures, but here was the basic build process:

3 Nalgene Twist Jars from Amazon
a lot of silicone
4 nylon hex bolts with nut
drill
2 1/2" elbow barbs with lock nuts

Step 1: Silicone the caps to the bottom of the jars
Step 2: let it dry for at least 3 days
Step 3: drill holes for screws, and lock them in. this is to prevent any issues while tightening or unscrewing
Step 4: let dry again (you'll notice a bunch of silicon ooze through the holes you just drilled. Its a lot of silicone, and won't dry completely until all your holes are made
Step 5: Drill a bunch of holes
Step 6: attach elbows

DONE

total cost: 20 bucks.

Back
Top Bottom