DIY canister power head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattoid

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all, I've started a DIY external canister filter but not sure of the required litre per hour requirements per litre/gallon.

Does anyone know of a formula or table?

I have a 4 foot x 18 x 18 - 65 US gal (250 ltr, 55 UK gal).

I'm currently using a canister rated for up to 300 ltr (80 US, 65 UK) and 660-780 ltr per hour (175-200US, 145-165UK) but would like heavier duty to cope with full stocking capacity and based on aqadvisor advise.

Thanks...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Without knowing the details on or tank (plants, stock, freshwater/saltwater etc) it is tough to give you an exact answer. But generally in freshwater you want 4-10x turnover of water and 10x in salt(not a salt guy so that may not be the most accurate). So 65x4= 265 and 6x10=650 so if you have plants and a small stock your smaller pump would work. But if you want to be prepared I would suggest something in the 600-800 range. And remember that you lose gph with bends/angles and with height and from trying to push it through the filter media so a little bigger wouldn't hurt.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

thanks ptray & MICEY. I have a relatively well planted tank with a lot of establishing plants and have also just had a hatch of bristlenose fry so I'm expecting lots if waste soon and just surface vacuuming without too much gravel disturbance.
I'm thinking 1200ltr plus (315US 260UK). it will be a second filter so a total of 1800-2000l per hr would satisfy the 10x option. I have a full tank with more fry on the way!!! until I can move them on.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom