DIY canister pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FallingShadow

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am looking to build a DIY canister filter out of a 5 gallon bucket, some 1/2" aquarium flex tubing and some PVC.

My problem here is that I know absolutely nothing about aquarium pumps. I need something around 1000gph (adjustable flow), rise/fall won't compromise efficiency (there will be approx. 4ft of a drop/return), must be reliable, relatively quiet, and must work outside of water.

Any suggestions to pumps are extremely appreciated. Thank you!

-Chris M.

Did you search on YouTube the aquarium DIY king must have something.

Yes that is actually where I found the filter I'm building. Love his videos. However the pump he suggests in the videos stirred some mixed reviews, many people opting for a different pump naming almost 30 kinds. I had to figure that I could get some insight here and replies might even reach a consensus. I am open to any pump suggestions though.

I'm not going to be much help but can share my hubbies experience. He was in search of pumps for specific tasks a few years back.
If possible buy local where you can return within a few days if it doesn't work out. For free. Some places will not allow pumps to be returned or charge restocking fees.

You will find more options online but shipping back and forth can cost $$$. And your funds are tied up while waiting for a refund.

We found that pond pumps were the most cost effective since they are mass produced and available at all the big box stores for ponds and fountains.

Back
Top Bottom