Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-16-2006, 11:52 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Regular

awesome, I'd look for something with clamps to hold the lid down. Good luck!

Old 10-17-2006, 12:37 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

i was looking at the rubbermaid(i think) lockable containers. they have a 4 lock lid and should do more than the trick. i may be getting it tomorrow and may actually have it built. will keep u updated.

Old 10-17-2006, 06:52 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

****.... i won't sleep now for a week.! 8O
Old 10-17-2006, 06:45 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

u can sleep soundly tonight trotty since i built it today!!! here are the picks during the process.
here is the lid with a fitting in it to attach to the hose...

opposite side...

bottom of container drilled and same fitting put in

opposite side

and with the media in it...

well thats it. i havent hooked it up to the powehead yet casue i am waiting for everything to dry fully. i may try running it tonight. will post more pics if i get it going. as for cost... it was 25 for the powerhead(i bought a maxijet 600) and 9 bucks for the container(had to but a stupid 3 pack casue they didnt have just the container!) besides that i just used some of the extra fittings that came with my xp3. and then some hose from a local hardware strore. was $.89 per foot. i used sponge, ceramic bio stars and filter floss for the media.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:26 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

What is that white stuff above the black foam?
3 packs are good for accidental mistakes
The container doesn't seem very big though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigougit
I saw a DIY canister filter that used 2 jars, 1 for filtration and 1 for a heater and it ran off 1 pump so I'd Imagine that as long as either the intake or the outtake hose was attached to the pump and everything was sealed with silicon besides the lid (which needs to be air tight) then there wont be any problems
Yeah, I think you are talking about my project, right? However, it will take up more space because the heater is outside of the tank, so there is two chambers.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:16 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

container isnt as large as i wanted but still large enough. much larger than the average HOB media compartment. i have the black foam then a level of the ceramic stars and then filter floss. its a fine floss that captures all the little particles that the foam misses. i put the plastic mesh above the intake and below the out put so the media doesnt get sucked up or blown around. i went to hook it up to the hoses and i was to eager and broke the seal of the silicone casue it wasnt hard enough yet. i will have to try it out tomorrow to give it proper time to adhere.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:34 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

yeah.. clear caulking is weaker.. because it is more flexible. I say, wait 2 days. And, when putting on a pipe, hold the other end of it tightly.
---
10 Gallon Hexagon
Hagen AquaClear 30, Visi-Therm Deluxe 50, DIY CF 20W 6500K CF, Hagen Natural CO2 System :: Bloodfin Tetra (1), Red-eye Tetra (3), Black Skirt Tetra (3), Harlequin Rasbora (6), Platy (1), Otocinclus Catfish (1) :: Rotala Indica, Hygrophila Difformis (Wisteria), Cabomba Carolinia
---
tropicalfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 12:47 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

the first fitting i used didnt fit snugly enough into the hole and that was the problem. i replacd it with another tighter one and it is holding well now. gonna run it tomorrow and see what happens. i only used this stuff casue i know it is aquarium safe and plus it looks better.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:25 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Regular

when I make mine, I think I will use the fittings that came with my powerheads to connect them to ugfs so that it will fit snugly and I won't have to worry about it fitting to the hose

Your filter looks good, hope it dries out okay and everything. Also, have you considered adding carbon?
Old 10-18-2006, 04:21 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to WaterPond Send a message via Yahoo to WaterPond
i thought about something similar. I hope it works out for you. I kinda want to try that now, lol.

Canadian Aquarium Auction!
WaterPond is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cannister, diy, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com