Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-02-2009, 09:39 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

ok...it seems pretty easy but i dont have all those tools...lol...i have a circular saw a hammer and nails some glue...lol...And good old elbow grease and a drill...lol...its a great look stand..did you usethe inside measurements to match the tank or the frame measurement

Old 09-02-2009, 10:09 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

The tools you have are more then sufficient. I built the top frame 1st (1 x 4's) which is the outer outer dimensions of the top frame of the tank, then I cut my 1 by's, rounded the edges of the 1 by's with a sander then used a 2 x 3 as a spacer because I didn't want the 1 by's even with the top (I wanted to create a skirt so to speak), I did the same with the bottom because i wanted the skirt to completely cover the tanks frame. Keep in mind I left the back open for equipment and the top as well to let allow the heat to escape from the lighting. BTW, i bought a nail gun for the finished nails because I really stink at driving them in with a hammer, LOL.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:16 AM   #23
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhemp34 View Post
ok...it seems pretty easy but i dont have all those tools...lol...i have a circular saw a hammer and nails some glue...lol...And good old elbow grease and a drill...lol...its a great look stand..did you usethe inside measurements to match the tank or the frame measurement
This is from the 1st post I made on my 125 build thread. If there's a will, there's a way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccCapt View Post
........On to the stand construction. Keep in mind I am doing everything with only a circular saw, compound miter saw and hand saw in my basement.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:38 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhemp34 View Post
Shouldn't be more than $5, get yourself a nail punch. It will let you hit the nail just a little bit past the outside surface of the wood.

Mix together the sawdust from cutting the wood with a bit of wood glue to cover the nails. It's a cheap and effective way to hide the nail heads without wasting money on wood putty.

My only suggestion is to get a cheap drill (either at a yard sale or store), say $20 or so. Get a real thin bit for it and drill a pilot hole for the nails. The problem you get with fastening thin boards is that they split real easy.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:14 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay, now that we've seen the pictures will the real cabinet makers please show yourself. Just kidding...Nice job explaining how it was done Capt.,Keith,sjoon. and everyone else. This is a very good thread...
Old 09-02-2009, 05:29 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks TC, sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:25 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

When I built my canopy I had a couple of concerns. The canopy is for a 75 gallon. One I wanted it to be light since often it would just be me removing it and at times I would have my wife helping. My biggest pet peeve is light spill, so I avoided doors and went with a hinged top that overlaps. I made an internal frame from 1x2's and glued and braid nailed them together. I left the back open for air flow and then skimmed with 1/4 inch cherry ply. I then added cherry trim work to finish it out. I sprayed multiple coats of white spray paint in the interior and then just coated the outside with polyurethane. I used T5HO but for MH I would have just added horizontal braces to hang the lights from. It has been going strong for two years with no signs of wear.

Tags
canopy, diy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com