DIY Canopy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JBFett

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I'm new to these boards and I have a quick question. I have a friend who's helping me construct a canopy. It's going to be a simple box, ten inches high, that sits on top of the aquarium with a flip up front and an open area six feet by 4 1/2 in the back just above the tank. My aquarium is an 125 gallon with glass tops and two 36 inch 96w corallife deluxe single strip aqualights. What's the highest the temperature should get? After buying all the wood and tools I'm kinda broke so I'd rather not go with an aquarium fan. Could I get away with drilling ventilation holes in the top? If so, how big and how many? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Welcome to AA JBFett!

Well first off...venting, should be as much as possible. Those lights are not going to put off much heat. When you get to using MH lamps you will generate some heat.
I am almost finished with my top for the same size tank as you have. If you are pressed for money and need to put fans into your top, you can always scavange a couple of fans from a computer power supply and use them. The fans I used on my top are about 25 dollars a piece without the grills and cords, but you could improvise on them if needed. Here is the link to my top.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=21619&highlight=

Mike

Back
Top Bottom