DIY Canopy complete

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NightSpirit

Aquarium Advice Activist
First off I'd like to thank everyone who has helped me in Aquarium Advice. If it wasn't for you guys I would have never done this and I'd probably be running a 12 gallon stuffed with a pufferfish, lionfish, tang, and a trigger. Next up is the sump, which is something I never would have done as well without the support of this website.

Sorry in advance for the pics. I need to get a tripod and figure out how to use my digital camera correctly. For some reason the canopy looks a little messed up on the left hand side in the pic, but it actually looks ok in person.

I know somethings I could have improved on, such as better wood, sanding things better, etc, but I think I did ok with no tools but a drill and screwdriver and I had to build this thing in the middle of my apartment. Also, I've never built or wired anything before. Total cost was $75 (including the $30 drill I bought, so I spent about $45 on the wood, paint, and supplies). The next thing I need to work on is figure out how to prevent the light from leaking out of the lid and get something for the back of the tank so the wall reflection isnt so distracting.

Lights I'm running are a 250w 20k MH on each the right and left side, and two 175w 20k MH in the middle (due to middle tank support). The lighting actually looks nice with the two 175s in the middle, since they sort of share the same 1 foot gap I need to fill (for a 5 foot tank). The little reflectors in the middle are stripped from my CSL fixture.

tank1.JPG

tank2.JPG

tank3.JPG

Back
Top Bottom