DIY Cave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Impolite

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been making a cave for maybe over a week now. I've used 100 percent clear silicone. It's the kind for bathrooms, the mold free kind. I thought the bathroom kind was the kind to get when making a cave or putting something together, but recently I heard the kind for the windows is the kind to use. I REALLY don't want to turn back now, all my motivation will be lost.
I've also heard of people using the kind of using with no problems. What is recommended with my situation? I'm nearly done with it!

What should I be looking for? It's just GE Silicone 2

You already said what you don't want in it.. the anti mold/mildew additives. While I've heard people say they've used it with no issues, it's just not something I would ever do. Those chemicals can leech out of the silicone and kill your fish. Your best bet is to start over using silicone with no additives. I think it's GE I for doors/windows that is safe, but you'll still want to make sure it makes no mention of mold/mildew inhibitors.

Noooooooo. That sucks.... How long does it leech out for? You think I can keep it in flowing water for like a week or something? I was planning on letting it cure for 3 days out of water, then in water for 3 more days. I just finished basically though. I'd die if I had to restart.

That might help reduce the amout that would leech, but I agree with mfdrookie. It is much better to start over and be safe. It is better to restart this one project rather than your whole tank.

Impolite said:
What should I be looking for? It's just GE Silicone 2

I've read of people successfully using ge 2, but I wouldn't use it IMO, the long term effects don't outweigh starting over.

Impolite said:
Noooooooo. That sucks.... How long does it leech out for? You think I can keep it in flowing water for like a week or something? I was planning on letting it cure for 3 days out of water, then in water for 3 more days. I just finished basically though. I'd die if I had to restart.

6 days isn't going to do anything, I believe it leeches for months, possible one or two years

I konw how much work Ive put into my fish and tanks and I wouldnt chance it. They may be fish, and replaceable...but is it worth having to loose fish AND your tank all over? Seems like youve put alot of work and thought into your cave, but how much more work would it be if you had to start from scratch totally with your tank? Just my 2 cents, but I wouldnt chance it. :( sry

Dang. :/ and I just finished it. It looks great. Ripping it apart will kill me. But, I love my fish, so I guess it's worth it.

Attachments

• image-558084136.jpg
    image-558084136.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 209
Ultimately, it's your decision. But, as i said before, I'd strongly suggest re-doing it. You can get 100% silicone in black, white, and clear (probably more colors if you had it custom ordered). Black works good for stuff like that... also looks good on tank seams.

just go to petco and get the silicone they sell. its $10 for a tube. there is more in the tube then it seems at first, plus its the silicone they use to put the fish tanks together and they have it in clear and black

Thanks. When I get my paycheck, I'm going toget it. I'm actually discouragedfrom buying things for the fish tanks. But, I do anyways :).

I'm going to get the GE 100% for windows and stuff

yea i know but i wanted to be safe and i didnt use a lot of it and i may never use it again so if i know its safe for my fish(mudskippers) im fine with paying a few more $'s

mfdrookie516 said:
the problem with the 'aquarium safe' silicone is that you're paying 3-4x as much for the same stuff... it's a marketing ploy IMO

Normal black silicone wouldn't be toxic to fish? I want to make a rock cave so I need some black silicone.

I just went through this myself building my sump. I used the GE 1 100% silicone and finished building the sump and while I was reading the bottle to see how long it takes to cure I read that it was not aquarium safe. Granted, they may be their way of saying they don't want to be responsible in case there is a problem but I didn't want to risk it... so I completely removed all the silicone I put down (1 and 1/2 caulk gun tubes worth) and re-did the entire thing with known aquarium safe silicone.

The GE 1 was 6-7/bottle. The aquarium stuff was 14/bottle. Still, I didn't want $30 hanging over my head if there actually is something wrong with it...

Back
Top Bottom