DIY cave for a pair of boliavan rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's awesome!!! I might do something like that for my pair of convicts. It looks way cheaper than a similar one at my lfs

Total cost of slate and silicone about £10 and I have loads of slate and about a third of a tube of silicone left. Gunna start someting for my other tanks soon

thats incredible! stunning design and the whole big structure for a tenner!! can u use any slate or a specific treated type?
and omg well done! thank you so much for showing us HOW u made it x x

I used blue mountain slate (thats what it says on the bag anyway) but any landscape/chipped slate would work as its not treated with any chems. I read somewhere that slate used for roofs can sometimes be treated with chemicals that are toxic. Give this stuff a miss unless your sure its untreated. Hope this thread has helped you out

Thank u for sharing defiance very nice tips and hidey hole cave is awesome. If you can pump em out and have the time for it, start selling em on here lol.

Yep just give it a clean, boil it up to kill any nasties in there and your good to go

Thanx rozdab. I'm happy with it for a 1st attempt. It wasn't exactly what I had in mind when I started but I think it turned out ok.
One last tip that a friend passed to me.
When building, once you pick up a piece of slate, use it
It stops the structure from looking too uniform like a brick wall.

Not messy just more natural looking. Unless your going for a brick wall effect of coarse

looks great! im just now getting to the point of making a more natural looking tank... still nothing as nice as that. mrbee's look great too. good job you guys for working to maintain natural looking tanks for your fish.

So the rams are finally in the tank will post pics when they have settled in

In the process of kicking the corys out of the cave lol

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111002_133748.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111002_133748.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 128
Oh I nearly forgot, I added some anubis nana bonsi to the drift wood and slate today too

defiance said:
Oh I nearly forgot, I added some anubis nana bonsi to the drift wood and slate today too

Is that bonsai really that much smaller than nana and petite leaves?

the bonzi leaves look about half the size of the regular anubias but its early days. i will see when they grow out a little.

Back
Top Bottom