Diy co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GEOlson

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just finished my preliminary CO2 setup with 2 liter soda bottles using other people's advice on setting them up. My setup so far is for a 75 gallon tank and I have a Hagen Diffuser Ladder in the two back corners. The ladders are attached with the supplied tubing to the soda bottles. To connect the soda bottles I drilled 1/4" holes in the cap so that the tube would fit. In order to make a good seal I wrapped plumbing teflon tape around top of the bottle threading and also wrapped around the tube in prrogressively thicker layers to wedge the tube into the hole of the cap. Then I screwed the caps back on. So far it's working great! Just wanted to give some advice on a cheap way to seal the unit. The teflon tape is cheap and works really well. It's possible it may not be as good as a silicone seal, but this is a simple solution with something I have around the house. I hope this post helps people with their setups.

Cheers!

Sounds like a good, easy build!

A couple of questions: How many bottles are you running? Are you testing your CO2? With DIY it is pretty tough to achieve the appropriate level of CO2 concentration on a 75 gal tank. Modest levels slightly above equilibrium or unstable levels in the tank can actually be worse than just not running it at all...

Right now I've got two 2-liter soda bottles running, each one connected to a bubble ladder. Once I finish two more bottles, I think I'd like to connect two 2-liter soda bottles to each ladder, by using a T-connector and having a third bottle between the generator bottles and the diffuser. As I understand it, the bubbles will release into the water (plain water) of the smaller third bottle, and the pressure will then push the CO2 out of that bottle and into the diffuser. It seemed like this would function like a water pipe that the water would somewhat absorb the yeast scent and such before going into the aquarium. I wanted to get the CO2 running a little bit before testing. But I will check the CO2 levels.

Is it a good idea to turn off the CO2 when the lights are off? I have my lights on a timer, but it doesn't seem like a reliable timer. On Wednesday it turned on fine, but on Thursday it didn't. I leave for work at 6:30 and get home between 16:00 and 18:00 (4:00 and 6:00) and was turning on the light when I get home and off when I go to bed. But that leaves the light on for no more than 7 hours and usually more like 5 to 6 hours. I was considering getting a couple Zilla power strips with built in digital timers, but didn't read too many good reviews about them.

Anyway, I'm excited to see my plants grow better and greener, and hopefully rid the tank of algae. I've got some brown algae (diatoms?) starting to form on the glass, I think it's because I had a cave from my 29 gallon tank in the 75 gallon for about 2 weeks, even though I got as much off as I could get using hot water. But it came back and I assume it spread, but that cave got washed and put back in the 29 gallon tank this week. But I do have dark green algae forming on my large water onion, it looks kind of like dark green crystals forming. I think it's the kind of algae I read about that forms when there's either light or CO2 lacking, but it's a sign of good water levels and nutrients. I've got two dual T5 Normal Output fixtures (48-inch 28W bulb) Coralifes. I just added the second one a couple weeks ago and it looks great. But I think CO2 will help a lot.

Hey I'm running diy co2 too I'm running pretty much the same as you on a 42 gal only difference is from my yeast mix u run in to a dry sump bottle which collects any gunk traveling down the first pipe from yeast mix then from the dry sump in to a half filled bottle of water which acts Like a bubble counter and then in to the tank from there , regarding lights off I wouldn't remove it until you measure your co2 level but if you really wanted you could add a suction cup above water line and at night fold the tubing over so it's not diffusing in to the tank and is just being released in to the air, hope this answers any questions you have let me know if you have any more issues

Back
Top Bottom