Diy co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Monkey Magic

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys new the forum and also pretty new to aquariums i was recently given a 44 gal fish tank from a friend and decided i wanted to do a fully planted tank so ive built the stand put it all together and decided id also like to build a co2 unit being a plumber i have access to all sorts of materials any suggestions? also on any other diy projects i can build for the tank?? Any suggestions would be greatly apreciated

Hi there, welcome to the site. As far as starting your new aquarium I would recommend you read up on fishless cycling, which is a must before putting fish in a tank. Now a 44 gal is a good size to start with, but you will find a wide variety of results with DIY CO2 for tanks that size. Usually above 29 gal people in the hobby prefer compressed CO2, again that is up for debate, but just an issue to point out.

Other DIY proyects, do you have a hood and lights setup? You can always do that, guessing you will start with fresh water, so a sump is not really necesary, but since you have the skills you might attempt it for a future saltwater endevour. Ever heard of open bottom tanks? Look up my thread on setting one up, they might pick your fancy.

Sorry for the delayed reply i looked at the open bottom i definately think i will try it one day for now though im still trying to get my head around one tank i just read another post and someone had written that anything over 29 gal tank diy co2 is basically useless what if i made a manifold of three or four i know it will never have the same effect but to me its more the build aspect of it if i wanted one i could probably get one for free i just like diy.

Yes, you can make a manifold & run multiple DIY canisters, but the problem I have with DIY is that you have no dosing control, and you can't shut it off at night. IMO, if you still want to "build something" (which I like to do myself), just get yourself a regulator/solenoid system that you can properly set on a timer, and then have fun designing & building a DIY reactor system.

So the whole purpose of a reactor is so the so the c02 is in the water for as long as possible? Trying to look it up at work and not having much luck

So the whole purpose of a reactor is so the so the c02 is in the water for as long as possible?

Yes. You want to create a method to fully disolve the CO2 in a moving water column. The idea is that if you just have a diffuser in your tank, the bubbles reaching the surface are wasted gas.

Trying to look it up at work and not having much luck

I just went to Google and typed in "diy co2 reactor" and all kinds of stuff popped up...... There are YouTube videos ranging from reactors that utilize a canister filter's return line to ones run off of power heads or their own seperate pumps.

Here's a particularly interesting one I'm looking at building that uses a water filter canister, but mine will be with it's own pump instead of inline with a canister:

Cerges' Reactor - DIY Inline CO2 Reactor

I looked them up at home by luck i meant i was underground surrounded by concrete internet reception would come and go. If i were to make one out of pvc do you know what tupes of glue are safe to use??

Back
Top Bottom