Diy co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edmund

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just make my CO2 with Yeast & Baking Soda. It's running smoothly but 1 question. Can I switch it off at night and will it build-up pressure and cause the bottle to explode.

Hi, welcome to the forum :)

I've never done DIY CO2 but would imagine the pressure would build-up if not off-gassed.

Yes, the reaction does not stop, if you do not allow it to expand, you could/will blow the bottle up. The smell is terrible too. rotten alcohol. Also, if you do not have a check valve in the system, you could also potentially back drain your tank onto your floor. (as if a blown up bottle isn't enough.)

With a yeast based system you can let it bubble into the tank 24/7. Excessive CO2 should my be an issue as the output is generally low. If you can concerned, you can hook up an air pump and powerhead to a timer and set it to run at night.
If you want a DIY CO2 system you can shut off, look into citric acid. Unlike yeast, it is a chemical reaction and valves are used to control the amount of reactants and amount of CO2 produced.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks, I just turn to use Citri Acid on the D501 kit. Everything is working smoothly and I control the output and shut it off after 8 hrs running. And now I would like to DIY a chiller

Need help. What and how to cure my Tetra Cardinals disease. Discolouration spot appear on the body and slowly spread through out the whole body and kill the fish.

This is a diy thread, start a new one in the fish diseases section. Hope they make it.

Need help. What and how to cure my Tetra Cardinals disease. Discolouration spot appear on the body and slowly spread through out the whole body and kill the fish.

If really is neon tetra disease there is little in terms of treatment options. But there are several diseases that can mimic it's symptoms. So try quarantine and some antibacterial meds. If bacterial would mean overall tank conditions are also poor. So water testing and water changes.

Please explain the citric acid C02 recipe and delivery. Thinking of adding cheato to my refuge but read that it needs C02 to sustain. 120 gal fowlr. Thx

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Here is a link that describes this method through a product review/demonstration.
This site describes both yeast and citric acid based methods.

Back
Top Bottom