DIY CO2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryehard

Aquarium Advice Regular
I attemped making a DIY CO2 system according to the plans on this site http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html but it just doesn't seem to be working. I'm pretty sure there aren't any leaks in my system, so the main problem seems to be the yeast just isn't generating much CO2. What kind of yeast mixtures does everyone who uses this method have and how did you go about mixing it? Also, what kind of diffuser/reactor does everyone find to be the easiest/best overall?

One tip that I found seems to work well is to foam the yeast before you add it to the bottle. This consists of mixing some tepid water (neither warm nor cold) with sugar in a bowl, and then adding the yeast. I usually let this sit for 30-60mins and then add it to the bottle. This gives the yeast a head start, and will ensure more consistant and quicker CO2 mixes.

I'll try that out. Should the water in the bottle for the final mixture be warm or tepid rather? I boiled mine first to disenfect it and I'm wondering if I mixed it too soon and killed most of the yeast before it cooled enough...

Hot water will kill yeast. Slightly warm should be okay, but tepid is better.

Okay I tried it out again... hopefully it'll work out this time. Whats the best type of diffuser to use/make? Right now I just have an airstone at the bottom of my tank while I try to get the yeast to produce.

What kind of filter do you have. If you have an AC just put the co2 hose in the input for the filter.

Cool, I'll give it a try tommorow. Hopefully my yeast will still be producing, otherwise I'm definately still doing something wrong.

The water needs to be 80-100 degrees Fahrenheit. I usually mix it and let it sit for an hour or so before capping it.

So far so good. I'm still producing plenty of CO2 and guiding the bubbles into the filter seems to be working quite well. Thanks guys!

Mine produces well and my house temperature averages 78 in the day and 74 at night. Production drops off at night a little but I never run dry in my bell diffuser. I think it is putting about 12 ppm CO2 in the water or there abouts.

I use room temperature water in my 3 liter bottle, 3 cups sugar, 1/2 teaspoon yeast and 1/4 teaspoon baking powder. This lasts about 3 weeks or so and produces more than I can ever diffuse with a bell. I mix the yeast all alone in about 1/2 cup of tap water that just starts to feel warm, about 90 degrees or so. Once it makes a bubble I put it in the bottle and have production in less than 12 hours.

For more reliable production, I would set up a double bottle system so that they can be changed out at different times and not interupt the flow of CO2. I will probably switch to 2, 2 liter bottles when I find the posting that had those cool connectors for bottles.

Anyone know where that post is?

Back
Top Bottom