Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-22-2009, 11:37 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

DIY CO2 help!

My diy co2 setup only produces co2 into my diffuser when I shake the bottle. then is see bubbles like crazy which lasts about 15 mins. but if i don't shake the bottle, no more bubbles. In a 1 liter bottle im using 1 cup sugar, 1/2 tsp yeast and 3 cups water. How can I get steady/constant bubles?

Ive also heard 2 things: Either one of them true?
1 - Hot water kills yeast. Therefore cool the sugar water mix before adding yeast.
2 - Boil the sugar water to break down the sugar into a form usable for the yeast.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

This looks to me like you have some leaks there. It would logically explain, what's happening. The things have to be 100% sealed, otherwise it will not work. Also depends from airline tubing used. They sell special one for CO2.
1 - True
2 - I think enough its if sugar is dissolved, you don't need to boil it. I never boiled it and always constantly works for at least 1 week, normally 2-3 weeks.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

For mine I always add warm water, never hot never cold and it usually goes for about 2-3 weeks. I think ing_monkey is right and you have a leak somewhere. to find it you can fill a bucket with water and put the whole apparatus under water when it is filled with air only. Wherever you see bubbles it where air is escaping.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Did you use silicone to seal the reactor? What always worked best for me was to drill a hole in the lid slightly smaller than the diameter of the tubing you are using. ANd force the tubing through that hole. the pressure will seal the tubing that way when you screw on the lid you have well sealed unit. Your mixture sounds great but be careful with heating the water, anything over 90 will usually stunt your yeast. My mixture in a 2 liter bottle was usually 2 cups sugar 1tsp bread machine yeast and water to the neck. I can post a picture to help you if you would like. I would usually do a tandem 2 liter setup with a 20 oz seperator and my DIY was enough to produce pearling durring the day. LMK
Good Luck.

36 BowFront Reef
LED PoweredPlanted 3G Picotope (Build thread)
Jnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:18 PM   #5

Quote:
I would usually do a tandem 2 liter setup with a 20 oz seperator and my DIY was enough to produce pearling durring the day. LMK
How big aquarium you have ? I am thinking the same because from my plants, only duckweed is pearling.

I use silicone, i don't think without it its 100% sealed. At least i had some leaks when i tryed it like that.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

55 Gallons the key is to leave in the blue piece of plastic that comes inside the lid. Silicone bonds poorly to plastics especially the kind used for soda bottle lids. So the seal works until you apply any kind of torque to it then you are out of luck. Drill straight through in and out. and the bit must be a smaller diameter than the tubing you are using, it should require a pair of needlenose pliers to pull the tubing through or its not small enough.

36 BowFront Reef
Old 10-29-2009, 06:41 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yep, drill the lid smaller and pull the hose thru, I always cut mine on an angle, and a seperator on any size diy system is a good idea.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:07 PM   #8

so far, for 30 gallon tank how many bubles per minute should go out to ensure good CO2 levels ?
I have kind of low light, only 1 tube because i was not able to buy light cover for my tank with place for 2 tubes, and i desperately want my HC to grow faster
Old 10-29-2009, 07:29 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What do you mean by 1 tube? and how low of light HC is light hungy and co2 hungry. Do you have a co2 monitor?

36 BowFront Reef
Old 10-29-2009, 08:00 PM   #10

I dont know. Don't have co2 monitor. What i read about HC, that its not that light demanding as CO2 demanding.
One tube - i mean one fluorescent tube normally used in aquarium lighting. I think its universal - They had 3 types of that size when i bought it and it was for plants, for making fish more colorful and universal. I took universal. It was like year ago when i was absolute newbie in aquarium.

Tags
co2, diy, diy co2

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com