DIY CO2 not working properly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arodrocks

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So i decided to try the DIY for the first time so i followed one of the videos from youtube, so far I'm getting 1 bubble per second in my bubble checker gatorade bottle but its been roughly about 16hrs and I still cant get the enough pressure to create bubbles of co2 in my tank
i am using a diffuser that i bought off ebay. Could it be because the journey for the gas throughout my tubing is somewhat long? For the record I checked for any possible leaks and i have none. Also I used 2 cups of sugar, 1/2 tsp of baking soda, 1/4 of tsp of yeast with warm water as stated in the video. Any ideas what could be the problem? or how long it takes to produce enough gas pressure for going into the tank?

greetings.

"a diffusor from ebay" isn't going to cut it, there are many different kinds and i've heard that the jap plant guys' glass diffusors require more pressure than dyi can effectively provide.

what kind of piping do you use? non CO2 hose (i.e. regular air hose) dissipate 30% of the co2 into the surroundings.. maybe that (paired with a high pressure demanding diffisuor) is why there is never enough pressure to release co2 through the diffusal method.
you could try to create a stronger mix (more yeast) and see if that makes it possible to diffuse the co2.

ok i am using the same type of diffuser that the guy was using in his video.
I use regular aquarium tubing same as the guy in the video and also using his diy recipe i can probably try to incrase the yeast to 1/2 tsp instead of 1/4.
but how long shlould this normally takes before producing co2 bubbles into the aquarium? i just read something by goggle in it that it can take up to 72hrs to produce co2 bubbles into the aquarium is this true?

diffuser link
http://http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aqua...622?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e699b9c2e

ebay said:
Features:
1.New and high quality
5.Compatible for pressurized Co2 tanks, but not yeast bottles.

i'd say try increase the yeast amount, possibly swap to a larger bottle. co2 hose is a plus to keep all co2 inside the system, you'll need alot of build up to push through a glass diffusor designed for pro co2.

in my system i have a AM reactor 1000 and 2 2 litre bottles, takes probs 30 mins to 1 hour to build up enough pressure (NOTE: i let my freshly filled bottles stand outside of the setup for some hours to let it start up) . but i also use check valves to keep pressure when refilling bottles, so can't really say much about 72 hour thing.

i'd say try increase the yeast amount, possibly swap to a larger bottle. co2 hose is a plus to keep all co2 inside the system, you'll need alot of build up to push through a glass diffusor designed for pro co2.

in my system i have a AM reactor 1000 and 2 2 litre bottles, takes probs 30 mins to 1 hour to build up enough pressure (NOTE: i let my freshly filled bottles stand outside of the setup for some hours to let it start up) . but i also use check valves to keep pressure when refilling bottles, so can't really say much about 72 hour thing.

Well i'm currently using a 2ltr bottle. I would increase the yeast see what happens, and I would definetly look for those co2 tubing pipes.
As far the check valves i am using 1 of them too and i put it with the in arrow toward the aquarium as specified by the instructions so the valve is not the problem either.
Thanks for your help.

Ok just to give you an update.
I solved my problem and i got my diy co2 working now this was the solution i double check for leaks again and incredibly even though i sealed both sides with silicone i still have a small leak you can check for this by immersing the bottles in water.
Another thing that I did to have more co2 gas pressure i use 1/2 of yeast instead of 1/4 and now everything is working properly my glass diffuser i bought off ebay is working also i do recommend to everybody.
I'm glad i managed to solve my problem and hope I help someone else in the future.

Back
Top Bottom