Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-31-2005, 10:04 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Scarf,

If its only been about 24 hours, then yes, just add another small pinch of yeast to the container. Let it set in there for, say 20 mins.
Then give it a bit of a shake (keep the cap off, and just hold your palm over the opening). This part is tricky though. If the yeast was totally dead, you'll be fine. But if a tiny bit if yeast lived and has started growing, shaking is gonna cause the mixture to foam over like a shaken soda can...so you might wanna do this outside.
This is also the reason you should NEVER shake a DIY once everything's been mixed together for more than a couple hours...but shaking at the start is important because it aerates the mixture, and yeast need oxygen for the first phase of their life cycle.

Old 10-31-2005, 01:38 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

A DIY CO2 setup is like making Beer. The protein drink fills that same role as Grain in beer making.

A side note, last night I replaced one of my bottles. The second bottle, that is still going strong, was started the second week of September. That's 8 weeks off of one mix. This is the longest I have let one go. I normally change after 4 weeks. Based on this result, i am going to try only replacing 1 bottle a month. (until I save up for pressurized that is)

Old 10-31-2005, 03:09 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to sudz
I have a 700ml bottle going for 3 weeks now. It looked like it was dying at week 2.... so i added about 5 tsb of sugar and swished it around. Its working like a champ still. and i only started with 10 tablespoons of sugar to start (smaller bottle... smaller doses?)

keeps my CO2 between 18 and 23ppm. Not perfect, but pretty good for a total of 3 dollars :P
5 Gallon Guppy tank (Daughters tank)
sudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 10:00 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the replies.

My CO2 is working well. I added another bit of yeast (after the boiling water incident) to the mixture and its been fizzing nicely and still is.

Though just a follow up question. It's around week 2 now. Although I see those CO2 bubbles bubbling out of the mixture (bit less though), my air stone is now not letting out any more CO2. I tried just squeezing the coke bottle and it released a large amount of air through the stone.

My thinking was that there may be a blockage on the air stone so it's not letting air through, so I forced air through it. Since there is still no CO2 running through the airstone, should I conclude that my mixture is near the end of its life? Or could there still be a blockage in the air stone or any other part of my setup?
Old 11-14-2005, 06:11 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Try moving the stone so it is not so far under water. If it starts bubbling, then your issue is low pressure due to your CO2 output tapering off.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:16 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the reply mate.

Actually, in the meantime I just made a real easy "gas separator/bubble counter" bottle, and that's telling me how much output my yeast mixture producing. If that stops, then no more CO2 output. If that continues and airstone stops, airstone clogged.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:01 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

A nice extra benfit of a bubble counter is it keeps your stone from clogging less. Without one you seem to get a little "slimy stuff" from your yeast bottle up the tubes.

Tags
co2, diy, diy co2

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com