Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-22-2012, 02:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

So, I've found several online sources for making a co2 system with a pop bottle and whatnot, but that seems like it would have adverse effects on the water parameters. Would it? I know it can mess with ph, but howso, and what are the pros and cons? I know this method is the lazy temporary way, but I don't want to invest in a tank and all that. I just want to try it out and see what my plants do.

So, in short, and information on the subject is much appreciated. Thanks

Old 03-22-2012, 03:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh I guess I should tell you what kind of tank I have. I have a 55 gallon, moderately planted community tank. Discus, angels, black skirts, bleeding hearts, rope fish, BN plecos, and kuhli loaches.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

From what I have heard DIY usually only works on tanks less than twenty gallons due to the low output. It may work if you set up more than one system though. I just got into Co2 myself and my betta and Otto don't appear to be bothered by any PH changes, but I have hard water with a lot of buffers. Let me know how it works out!
Old 03-22-2012, 11:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have really hard water also, exactly how is that all related again?
Old 03-23-2012, 09:51 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My understanding is that the more buffers you have, the less drastic a PH swing.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:52 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxkolbe View Post
My understanding is that the more buffers you have, the less drastic a PH swing.

Buffers as in naturally present in your water or buffers like crushed coral?? I'm a co2 noob big time, but I really want to get started with it.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:54 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Agreed^ I've googled and googled and I'm still clueless lol
Old 03-23-2012, 01:16 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

tbh, I haven't found much info on DIY CO2 setups causing any radical pH swings, I know at least that mine didnt... The 2 liter pop bottle in a 55 gallon shouldn't give off enough to cause adverse effects to fish either.
From my understanding it becomes lethal at like 40 ppm or so (correct me if I'm wrong) and there is no way you'll reach that much with the 1 tsp yeast to ˝ cup sugar recipe.

I'd assume you also have an airstone running, so it's not like the CO2 will drown out any oxygen and make your fish gasp.

Sorry if that didn't answer your question. That's about the extent of my knowledge on the subject. I'll research more, as I'm curious now too
Old 03-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Haha thanks. I'm totally new to all this so I'm sorry if this is a really dumb question, but, the part I'm sketchy on is going from the bottle to the tank. I know how to connect the tubing, but can you not just stick an air stone on the end and put it in your tank? Lol sorry again for the ignorance
Old 03-23-2012, 02:07 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by paytertot View Post
Haha thanks. I'm totally new to all this so I'm sorry if this is a really dumb question, but, the part I'm sketchy on is going from the bottle to the tank. I know how to connect the tubing, but can you not just stick an air stone on the end and put it in your tank? Lol sorry again for the ignorance
Not ignorant. That's what I did.

A 2 litter bottle in a 55 gallon is hardly going to make a dent. Two would be more efficient. Most people use a "bubble counter" (if you youtube DIY CO2 you'll see what I mean) or get high-tech with valves and such.
I'm a cheap student with minimal tech ability, so I just stuff an airstone in the end of the tubing and let the vapor pressure work it's magic. I set the airstone inside the back of my filter so the filter can disperse it (trying that this time after seeing build thread where the guy used his filter as a diffuser)

Last time I just dropped the tubing/air stone in the tank and let it go.
No sick fish, no dead plants, no fluctuating water parameters... but again, 1 bottle in a 55 gal is hardly anything. I have easy beginner plants too (java fern, anubias, crypto) so I'm sure this is a very "bare-bones" set up that won't work for high-end planted tanks.

Tags
co2, diy, diy co2

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com